The Student Room Group

Can Level 3 Health and social care take you do uni?

Hi, can level 3 health and social care help you get into University?
I don’t have the best GCSE grades due to circumstances and they are:
Level 2 Pass in Level 2 BTEC (at gcse)
Level 2 Merit Technical qualification in city and guilds
Now I’m doing a Level 3 health and social care course and I’m really going to try my hardest to get a A/B as it’s graded A*-D this certificate.
I am either picking for my degree , social work or sociology as in the lessons we’ve been learning about sociology and I really love it! I don’t usually enjoy things but this lesson has really been interesting so far… What are the chances of me getting into university? Should I retake science?
Will I have the time? Also what does a sociology degree do?
If I choose sociology I’d look into counselling or social work still.
The level 3 is ‘CACHE’ and I’ve never heard of this certificate as I have only heard of BTEC and kind of nervous as I don’t know if it’s accepted
Original post by Anonymous

It can. You don't find many universities which mention that CACHE Level 3 in Health and Social Care by name, but some will. For example University of Manchester, here, says:

The University welcomes applications from students studying the following courses:

CACHE Level 3 Award in Health and Social Care
CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care
CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care

We recognise the following qualifications as contributing to entry requirements to a range of our higher education courses in related subject areas, either by meeting entry requirements in their own right or being accepted alongside other qualifications at the same level.

In the past, we have recruited students with CACHE qualifications in Health and Social Care on to our degree programmes in Nursing, Psychology, Sociology and Speech and Language Therapy. Any offers made would be dependent on your overall profile of qualifications and the decision depends on a number of factors.

Admissions decisions are informed by a range of factors and the subject(s) studied should be relevant to the particular degree course for which you are applying to. In many cases we expect candidates to offer other specific qualifications and/or to achieve specific levels of attainment in pre-requisite subjects, or units. In some cases, an interview will be required.

We advise you to contact the academic School, who will clarify whether your specific portfolio of qualifications is acceptable for entry on to your chosen course.

However, a much more common scenario would be for a university to specify their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. How many UCAS points your CACHE qualification will earn you will depend upon its "size" (Award, Certificate, Extended Diploma, etc.) and your grades.

(Although Manchester don't explicitly say so, I'd very much expect that they're talking about the Extended Diploma when they refer to the CACHE qualification meeting the entry requirements in its own right - i.e. not just in combination with other qualifications).

At one point above you refer to "this certificate". If we're talking about the "CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care", than it's worth the equivalent size-wise of one A level. So Manchester would be out (unless you have some other Level 3 qualifications up your sleeve).

Confirm exactly what it is (Award, Certificate, Extended Diploma) and I'll check where it might be able to get you on it's own.
Original post by DataVenia
It can. You don't find many universities which mention that CACHE Level 3 in Health and Social Care by name, but some will. For example University of Manchester, here, says:

However, a much more common scenario would be for a university to specify their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. How many UCAS points your CACHE qualification will earn you will depend upon its "size" (Award, Certificate, Extended Diploma, etc.) and your grades.

(Although Manchester don't explicitly say so, I'd very much expect that they're talking about the Extended Diploma when they refer to the CACHE qualification meeting the entry requirements in its own right - i.e. not just in combination with other qualifications).

At one point above you refer to "this certificate". If we're talking about the "CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care", than it's worth the equivalent size-wise of one A level. So Manchester would be out (unless you have some other Level 3 qualifications up your sleeve).

Confirm exactly what it is (Award, Certificate, Extended Diploma) and I'll check where it might be able to get you on it's own.

Hi it’s an extended level 3. I thought it was a BTEC before applying but it’s not otherwise i would have applied somewhere else. However, I do really like the content and whilst doing level 2 i had that I wanted to do social work but now as I’m studying sociology as a subject in level 3 I’ve actually started to love it and I think I’ll do well in it. So I don’t know I’ll have to see and thanks a lot!
do you think I’d get rejected with my GCSEs as well? And do you think I’d get rejected because it’s not a btec graded award?
Hi it’s an extended level 3. I thought it was a BTEC before applying but it’s not otherwise i would have applied somewhere else. However, I do really like the content and whilst doing level 2 i had that I wanted to do social work but now as I’m studying sociology as a subject in level 3 I’ve actually started to love it and I think I’ll do well in it. So I don’t know I’ll have to see and thanks a lot!
do you think I’d get rejected with my GCSEs as well? And do you think I’d get rejected because it’s not a btec graded award?

If it's an "extended level 3", then I think it must be an Extended Diploma, as I can't find any other relevant qualification with the name Extended in its name. There are, however, seven different CACHE Level 3 qualifications in Health and Social Care:

NCFE CACHE Level 3 Award in Health and Social Care 601/6108/5
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Award in Health and Social Care 603/2913/0
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care 601/6109/7
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Certificate in Health and Social Care 603/2914/2
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care 601/6110/3
NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care 601/8434/6
NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care 601/8435/8

You've given a long list of GCSE grades, but haven't mentioned the key information which unis will want to know: What grade did you get in GCSE Maths? What grade did you get in GCSE English Language?

Many, many universities have a requirement across-the-board (i.e. regardless of course) of a grade 4 in both Maths and English Language. If you don't have those, it'll make things more complicated.

The fact that it's not a BTEC shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't have thought - especially if it's the NCFE CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care - that's worth the equivalent of three A levels. Although you're likely to be applying based upon the UCAS points that the qualification is worth, rather than based upon the qualification itself.
I don’t have the best GCSE grades due to circumstances and they are:
Level 2 Pass in Level 2 BTEC (at gcse)
Level 2 Merit Technical qualification in city and guilds
Now I’m doing a Level 3 health and social care course and I’m really going to try my hardest to get a A/B as it’s graded A*-D this certificate.
I am either picking for my degree , social work or sociology as in the lessons we’ve been learning about sociology and I really love it! I don’t usually enjoy things but this lesson has really been interesting so far… What are the chances of me getting into university? Should I retake science?
Will I have the time? Also what does a sociology degree do?
If I choose sociology I’d look into counselling or social work still.

I taught Health and social care until i had a fallout with my director and forced myself to do a PGCE.

All my students are now preparing to go into university studying variety of courses such as Psychology, Sociology and Criminology. You will be fine. Just make sure you pick a uni that accepts it (e.g London Met or Bedforshire)
Original post by DataVenia
If it's an "extended level 3", then I think it must be an Extended Diploma, as I can't find any other relevant qualification with the name Extended in its name. There are, however, seven different CACHE Level 3 qualifications in Health and Social Care:

NCFE CACHE Level 3 Award in Health and Social Care 601/6108/5
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Award in Health and Social Care 603/2913/0
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care 601/6109/7
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Certificate in Health and Social Care 603/2914/2
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care 601/6110/3
NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Certificate in Health and Social Care 601/8434/6
NCFE CACHE Technical Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care 601/8435/8

You've given a long list of GCSE grades, but haven't mentioned the key information which unis will want to know: What grade did you get in GCSE Maths? What grade did you get in GCSE English Language?

Many, many universities have a requirement across-the-board (i.e. regardless of course) of a grade 4 in both Maths and English Language. If you don't have those, it'll make things more complicated.

The fact that it's not a BTEC shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't have thought - especially if it's the NCFE CACHE Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care - that's worth the equivalent of three A levels. Although you're likely to be applying based upon the UCAS points that the qualification is worth, rather than based upon the qualification itself.

Hi there, I have looked at the exact name and the one I am doing is the last one you listed. I have a grade 4 in maths and english language but a 3 in english lit. does this matter?
I do want to re take science as I just had a bad time at school (bullying) and I couldn't concentrate and I know that shouldn't be an excuse but I know I could have achieved higher if I worked harder.
These are my exact results :
English lang : 4
Maths : 4
Foundation combined science : 3-2 (so embarrassing!)
Film studies : 4
Geography: 2
Drama: 3
English lit: 3
Btec health and social care (level 2 GCSE level ) - Level 2 pass (which is a 4/5)
I did a year of Level 2 technical city and guilds certificate which I achieved a level 2 merit (which is a 6 in gcse) and I'm a little happy as I was recovering from my traumatic school years and I tried my hardest whilst re taking english.
I really did not do well but I regret so much and wish I had better grades.

Oh okay that sounds fine and it's = to 3 a levels which is rather fine it's just I had never heard of this certificate and beforehand thought it was BTEC and was hoping to receive merits/distinctions instead of one grade at the end from A*-D but it's = to 3 a levels still. I just want to achieve an A/B at least because I need to get a chance in University otherwise doing this course won't be worth it as it won't lead me to the career I'm hoping to get into.
Original post by Quiet Benin
I taught Health and social care until i had a fallout with my director and forced myself to do a PGCE.

All my students are now preparing to go into university studying variety of courses such as Psychology, Sociology and Criminology. You will be fine. Just make sure you pick a uni that accepts it (e.g London Met or Bedforshire)

Are there only a few that accept it then? I'm just worried considering my GCSE's weren't good at all and I know I could have achieved better it's a shame and I just want to make sure that doing this course and putting my soul into it will help me get into Uni. Do you know if ARU accepts it? (sorry for the questions)
Do you know if ARU accepts it? (sorry for the questions)

Anglia Ruskin don't mention it by name, but their entry requirements for BA (Hons) Sociology, here, say they want "96 UCAS Tariff points from a minimum of 2 A Levels (or equivalent)." They list some equivalent qualifications (BTEC Level 3 Diplomas, Access to HE Diplomas, etc.) and then say, "Other equivalent qualifications may be accepted for entry to this course, please email [email protected] for further information."

I'd strong recommend that you e-mail them, naming your course as precisely as you can (not just "level 3 health and social care" :wink:) and ask them to confirm that they treat it an an equivalent qualification. I'm sure they will, but checking would put your mind at rest, I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest