The Student Room Group

My teacher doesn't give a damn about teaching properly

I've just started Year 10,this year, unfortunately, I have a teacher who doesn't bother teaching at all. Some of my friends in school had her in Year 9 and they all said the same thing "She doesn't teach" and all she did was put movies on. I was hoping that since we are Year 10s she'd put more effort in but it's the complete opposite. Most of my classmates like her since all we do is nothing and she's pretty chill. But honestly, it's rubbish, I hate my english lessons and I'm going to have this teacher till Year 11.
Today she just gave us a poem to analyse and all she did was organise her books for the whole lesson. I'm kinda confused, is this what a teacher is meant to do?
If I rant about this in school no one takes it seriously. I'm so done with her and it's only the second week of school.
Reply 1
If nobody complains, nothing changes. Go see the Head of Department and have a rant, and ask for them to sit in on a lesson to assess the level of teaching.
Reply 2
There's probably a head of department for English - try voicing your concerns to them.
Original post by Donewithlife2512
I've just started Year 10,this year, unfortunately, I have a teacher who doesn't bother teaching at all. Some of my friends in school had her in Year 9 and they all said the same thing "She doesn't teach" and all she did was put movies on. I was hoping that since we are Year 10s she'd put more effort in but it's the complete opposite. Most of my classmates like her since all we do is nothing and she's pretty chill. But honestly, it's rubbish, I hate my english lessons and I'm going to have this teacher till Year 11.
Today she just gave us a poem to analyse and all she did was organise her books for the whole lesson. I'm kinda confused, is this what a teacher is meant to do?
If I rant about this in school no one takes it seriously. I'm so done with her and it's only the second week of school.

I had this in year 13 for biology a level. Trust me it gets worse.
Original post by KirstinTMH
I had this in year 13 for biology a level. Trust me it gets worse.

Oof, wish me luck, I hope things are better for you now at least.
Original post by Guy2.0
If nobody complains, nothing changes. Go see the Head of Department and have a rant, and ask for them to sit in on a lesson to assess the level of teaching.

I will, thank you for the advice:smile:)
I'm just worried because everyone seems to like her, including other teachers. Anyway, you're absolutely right, if no one does anything, nothing will change. Enjoy the rest of your day <33

Quick Reply