Turn on thread page Beta

Purchasing a new laptop watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

For Christmas I have asked for a new laptop.

I have a budget of £450 and I would like to have one that can healthily balance running say Office, messenger and WoW at the same time. (Just an Example)

I have two laptops, which I have narrowed down and I feel they could provide me with the best value for money.

1) http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-2834.aspx

2)http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-9828.aspx

Number 1 really appeals to me, but number 2 has some extra gizmos which would be really nice to have.

Your opinions would be greatly receive as the rents will have to go purchase soon.

Regards

Tknightrider

P.S Any other great bargins that you may have please feel free to post :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would personally prefer the toshiba.

I'm in the same situation, my laptop just died and I bought a macbook - which I found utterly awful for doing uni work on and am going to return it.
    Can anyone recommend a laptop? one thats max 13" - what is the general opinion of toshiba vs. dell?
    sorry for hijacking the thread btw :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go for the HP as it has a better processor and a better graphic card.I dont think you will need that much of a big memory as only you will be using it .
    If you play a lot of games especially online you should go for the HP.

Hope this helped man

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your input

ReputationRep:
    Upgrading the RAM can be more costly and time consuming than buying even the cheapest webcam

ReputationRep:
    Definately the HP - way better processor and more ram which on laptops is hard to replace. Though this laptop is pretty good:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...d=lx.aqb0x.611

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyingIsis)
    I would personally prefer the toshiba.

I'm in the same situation, my laptop just died and I bought a macbook - which I found utterly awful for doing uni work on and am going to return it.
    Can anyone recommend a laptop? one thats max 13" - what is the general opinion of toshiba vs. dell?
    sorry for hijacking the thread btw :p:
    Would you mind developing that a bit? I was seriously considering to switch from a pc to a macbook, to take with me at uni, they sound amazing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactus_c)
    Would you mind developing that a bit? I was seriously considering to switch from a pc to a macbook, to take with me at uni, they sound amazing :p:
    My guess would be compatibility, with most universities having Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTCC Fan)
    Definately the HP - way better processor and more ram which on laptops is hard to replace. Though this laptop is pretty good:

Thanks for this

ReputationRep:
    i have the toshiba, except its the p300 a16, very similar though! and it is amazing!!!!
    look fabulous, works excelently.
    its got a lot of cool extra things added to it as well

defo the toshiba, although id get it from somewhere like pcworld where you can get a protection plan/insurance rather than tescos. because if anything happens to it (w/o insurance) the price 2 fix it is almost as much as the price you bought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTCC Fan)

I'd go for this one over the other two.

However I just got this(as mentioned in another thread). I know it's slightly over your budget but for an extra £50 I think it would be worth it.

http://direct.asda.com/Sony-Vaio-VGN...efault,pd.html

It isn't the right picture though.

This is the right model(not sure about the colour though, I got a black one, this one look a bit brown):

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/i...?sku=VGNNR21ZT

Edit: BTCC Fan, what makes you say the HP has a way better processor? I don't know that much about the models but the stats look more in famour of the AMD?

ReputationRep:
    Actually i think they're both ****** laptops. Mine is crazy performent but then again I did pay £800. Also I'd like to add that DELL has the best laptops. And as flyingisis mentioned macs are ******, for almost anything. I know because i tried one, after using a PC for 10 years you feel like you're handicapped. Like some one cut off your arm. It's just a terrible terrible feeling.

Any way! Let me just say that dells are the best from two perspectives. Number 1, my mom works in IT and does technicall support for GSK aka Glaxosmithkline which is a biggass company and they're using dells. And from my mom's expert opinion dells are the best as well. AND! when I dropped my old laptop and totally ****** up its screen the place i took it to put in a new screen i asked the guy what the best laptops were and he took me in the back and it was full of sony's toshibas and macs. Hes like man...the best laptops are dell's. The only dells i have to repair are the ones like urs. Some idiot drops em..other wise they work awsome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamolxes)
    Actually i think they're both ****** laptops. Mine is crazy performent but then again I did pay £800. Also I'd like to add that DELL has the best laptops. And as flyingisis mentioned macs are ******, for almost anything. I know because i tried one, after using a PC for 10 years you feel like you're handicapped. Like some one cut off your arm. It's just a terrible terrible feeling.

Any way! Let me just say that dells are the best from two perspectives. Number 1, my mom works in IT and does technicall support for GSK aka Glaxosmithkline which is a biggass company and they're using dells. And from my mom's expert opinion dells are the best as well. AND! when I dropped my old laptop and totally ****** up its screen the place i took it to put in a new screen i asked the guy what the best laptops were and he took me in the back and it was full of sony's toshibas and macs. Hes like man...the best laptops are dell's. The only dells i have to repair are the ones like urs. Some idiot drops em..other wise they work awsome.
    There are a lot of people who work in IT that have different opinions. I wouldn't tend to believe someone's opinion over another solely because they work for a "biggass company"

ReputationRep:
    It's not someone's opinion. It's the opinion of a a huge company like GSK replacing all their old IBM's with dells. Because the new IBM's are made in china...so you can pretty much throw them out the window and anything else isnt as reliable as dell. And i've spoken with many people who are professionals. The general idea is that dells are the best.

ReputationRep:
    I would say, go for the HP laptop, but that's only cos my laptop is HP.

ReputationRep:
    They both seem rubbish for the price tbh. Check ebay.

ReputationRep:
    It's not someone's opinion. It's the opinion of a a huge company like GSK replacing all their old IBM's with dells. Because the new IBM's are made in china...so you can pretty much throw them out the window and anything else isnt as reliable as dell. And i've spoken with many people who are professionals. The general idea is that dells are the best.
    I'm not really questioning the quality of dells. My point was that you were making an assumption that yours mum's opinion was correct because she worked for GSK. You're now assuming that all huge companies make correct decisions and anything made in china is worthless

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a dell inspiron and it is awesome. I got it from the outlet store on the Dell Website. £410 and it has a dual2duo t56?? processor, 250GB ram and 200 HD (or poss the other way round?) Webcam, dvd rewrite etc. and it is a very sexy red colour. The ones in the outlet store are ones that heve been ordered and then returned (due to wrong spec being sent etc) they have all been checked by Dell to make sure they are working. My Dad got one too and they are both really good, much better spec than you would normally get for the money. The thing with the outlet though is that what is up there is always changing, they just have one of each laptop, however if like us you have done your research and know what the price of things are then you can make a quick decision and just do it!

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...&~ck=betafrbsd

For example on there at the moment for £377 (plus £60 delivery and VAT= 437) is this

System Price £377.85
    Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Operating System: English - Vista Home Premium
    Memory: 3.0GB MB (1X2GB + 1X1GB) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Disk Drive: 250GB HD (5400RPM)
    NoteBook Screen: 15.4 Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display TF
    Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    CD Read-Write Drive: Optical Drive 8xDVD+/-RW Drive including SW
    Software: BT, AOL, Tiscali ISP Combination
    MISC: Image Restore - Vista
    MS Vista Premium Logo Label NB (small
    Vista OnLine Getting Started Guide (WW
    Battery Inspiron Primary 6-cell 56WHr Li-Ion
    Internal Keyboard Uk/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Wireless 1395 Mini-Card 802.11b/g EMEA
    65W AC Adapter
    Dual 2 Duo T5550 1.83

ReputationRep:
    Dude whats your problem. Seriously. I'm saying a huge company that relied so much on computers would do a bit of research into computers before making such a big purchase. More research than any of you have done. Hence your point is invalid. Just another post on circular logic. Fail.

ReputationRep:
    Dude whats your problem. Seriously. I'm saying a huge company that relied so much on computers would do a bit of research into computers before making such a big purchase. More research than any of you have done. Hence your point is invalid. Just another post on circular logic. Fail.
    I don't think it is. My point was that you shouldn't make assumptions based on generalisations but I'm not going to argue with you.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.