The Student Room Group

Predicted grades for Cambridge applications

Hi, just a few questions about grades and Cambridge applications:
Are you more likely to be given a higher offer from Cambridge if your predicted grades are higher?
Are you likely to be offered an interview without all A* for humanities subjects, are they mainly just looking at if you're at or above the standard offer or is having all A* grades the main factor in deciding who is interviewed?
If an A grade is in a subject not relevant to your course, does this mean colleges are less likely to focus on it?
Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by caitmcde
Hi, just a few questions about grades and Cambridge applications:
Are you more likely to be given a higher offer from Cambridge if your predicted grades are higher?
Are you likely to be offered an interview without all A* for humanities subjects, are they mainly just looking at if you're at or above the standard offer or is having all A* grades the main factor in deciding who is interviewed?
If an A grade is in a subject not relevant to your course, does this mean colleges are less likely to focus on it?
Any help would be appreciated!

Hi there! To answer your questions:

- Not as far as I know, although I'm not aware of any research that's been done on this.
- We are looking to see that applicants' predicted grades meet or exceed the typical offer for the course. We don't base who to call to interview solely on their predictions, although we may have some concerns if an applicant is not predicted the typical offer for their course. We consider all parts of the application we have until that point when deciding who to call for interview.
- I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Being predicted one or two A grades for a course where the typical offer is A*AA is perfectly normal and perfectly fine - it's certainly not going to rule you're application out.
Reply 2
Thank you for your help!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there! To answer your questions:

- Not as far as I know, although I'm not aware of any research that's been done on this.
- We are looking to see that applicants' predicted grades meet or exceed the typical offer for the course. We don't base who to call to interview solely on their predictions, although we may have some concerns if an applicant is not predicted the typical offer for their course. We consider all parts of the application we have until that point when deciding who to call for interview.
- I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Being predicted one or two A grades for a course where the typical offer is A*AA is perfectly normal and perfectly fine - it's certainly not going to rule you're application out.

@Peterhouse
@Peterhouse Admissions(

Would a prediction of eg. A*AAB (for an A*AA course) be disadvantageous? ie. Where the typical 3 A Level offer is met, but a 4th grade is lower than a typical 4 A Level offer would require

Quick Reply

Latest