The Student Room Group

CHOOSE btw my EPQ topics Politics/PPE

So I have a few ideas atm all political for my EPQ which I need to decide on BEFORE THURSDAY. I'm interested in all but I want to know what the better option in regard to getting enouhg information and being able to find good sources/evidence.

1) Is China in Africa a form of neo-colonialism and to what extent is this problematic?
- not sure if this is too specific by focusing on Africa
- is the second part to the question a good addition or could the first part work just as well by itself

2) To what extent is China's growing power a threat to the hegemony of Western countries?
- I like this but can I use hegemony to refer to western couuntries or instead I can put 'America's hegemony'. Not sure if that makes sense? Any rewording of this?

3) Something on the Arab spring - Why did the Arab Spring happen and to what extent has the revolution changed the political dynamics of the country?

4) Something on colonialism and the stolen artefacts - Are old colonial powers justified in displaying artefacts stolen from its heritage land in their own museums?
- Or something to do with statutes of previous slave traders being up?
- Should I focus on the UK or is it better to extend it to any countries?

ALL HELP APPRECIATED (any other interesting topics that are based on politics/intl relations/PPE i would lovee) xx
Reply 1
Personally, I like number 4 the most just because it's quite relevant to the current time and a lot of people have an opinion on it so you will be able to develop the well argued, unbiased EPQ essay that scores a lot of marks. I know my school made us take all of our potential titles and see if we could find a substantial amount of sources which conflicted in beliefs so that you can have a good amount of references. It really does depend because to get a high mark in EPQ, you need to show you have a lot of references and the critical analysis of them as well as have a good flow through your essay :smile: I got 44 / 50 this year in my EPQ by focusing on genetic engineering and ethical issues so you really have to focus on one thing as having something too broad makes it difficult for you to show that you developed a well argued essay!
Original post by twahaa
Personally, I like number 4 the most just because it's quite relevant to the current time and a lot of people have an opinion on it so you will be able to develop the well argued, unbiased EPQ essay that scores a lot of marks. I know my school made us take all of our potential titles and see if we could find a substantial amount of sources which conflicted in beliefs so that you can have a good amount of references. It really does depend because to get a high mark in EPQ, you need to show you have a lot of references and the critical analysis of them as well as have a good flow through your essay :smile: I got 44 / 50 this year in my EPQ by focusing on genetic engineering and ethical issues so you really have to focus on one thing as having something too broad makes it difficult for you to show that you developed a well argued essay!

Okay THANK YOUU
Do you think the question for the 4th is too specificc? Also, I dont know if you've studied history (or any essay subject), but for the EPQ am I going to use the wording of the question often throughout my argument as I would normally, and would this q be too narrow - if that makes sense
Also, any suggestions on how I could word the question - is it better if I focused on the UK only or again would it make it difficult later?

The 4th question just came to me as I was writing this post but I actually really like it as I was very interested in the news stories during the BLM protests and statues/artefacts were a main topic. Thank you for your help x
Also...the first two focus on China mainly because it is often on the news and I've studied the Chinese communist state (Mao's China) in my a level history class so I already am familar with chinese politics.
Reply 4
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Also...the first two focus on China mainly because it is often on the news and I've studied the Chinese communist state (Mao's China) in my a level history class so I already am familar with chinese politics.

Oh watch out!! You can't do an EPQ with any sort of overlap into your A Levels so anything you've learnt in A Levels can't be used in your EPQ as knowledge. To be honest, your fourth question is on the verge of being too narrow - maybe you can make it into something about profit rather than museums? Old colonial powers profiting from the lands they colonised? Something like that, not too sure, it'd make you have a bit more to talk about?
Original post by twahaa
Oh watch out!! You can't do an EPQ with any sort of overlap into your A Levels so anything you've learnt in A Levels can't be used in your EPQ as knowledge. To be honest, your fourth question is on the verge of being too narrow - maybe you can make it into something about profit rather than museums? Old colonial powers profiting from the lands they colonised? Something like that, not too sure, it'd make you have a bit more to talk about?

Really...thanks for letting me know!! I thought an overlap is fine consdiering Ill be focusing on modern China rather than China in the 20th century. But since the first question is on China investing in Africa, and the 2nd one on US-Chinese realtions, would that still be a problem? I've studied the communist party and the control of the people so not excatly the same just the same country?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Really...thanks for letting me know!! I thought an overlap is fine consdiering Ill be focusing on modern China rather than China in the 20th century. But since the first question is on China investing in Africa, and the 2nd one on US-Chinese realtions, would that still be a problem? I've studied the communist party and the control of the people so not excatly the same just the same country?

I wouldn't risk it - maybe ask one of your teachers for their opinion on whether it'd be an overlap and get it signed off by your EPQ supervisor.
Reply 7
So I have a few ideas atm all political for my EPQ which I need to decide on BEFORE THURSDAY. I'm interested in all but I want to know what the better option in regard to getting enouhg information and being able to find good sources/evidence.

1) Is China in Africa a form of neo-colonialism and to what extent is this problematic?
- is the second part to the question a good addition or could the first part work just as well by itself

2) To what extent is China's growing power a threat to the hegemony of Western countries?
- I like this but can I use hegemony to refer to western couuntries or instead I can put 'America's hegemony'. Not sure if that makes sense? Any rewording of this?

3) Something on the Arab spring - Why did the Arab Spring happen and to what extent has the revolution changed the political dynamics of the country?

4) Something on colonialism and the stolen artefacts - Are old colonial powers justified in displaying artefacts stolen from its heritage land in their own museums?
- Or something to do with statutes of previous slave traders being up?
- Should I focus on the UK or is it better to extend it to any countries?

ALL HELP APPRECIATED (any other interesting topics that are based on politics/intl relations/PPE i would lovee) xx

about number 3... which country? there's no one arab country. the arab spring happened across many different arab countries, mostly libya, syria, yemen, tunisia, and egypt, but also algeria, lebanon, and others.

Thought I'd comment on this question as it is somewhat similar to what I based my EPQ on. I very much doubt focusing on Africa would be too specific. In fact, I think you're more likely to find it too broad. I planned on doing my EPQ on African politics last year, but ended up just focusing on one African country.

Also, I think the second half is in fact the stronger half of your question. There is lots of room for debate around how problematic Chinese neo-colonialism is e.g. whether the political and environmental implications of a Chinese copper mine in Zambia outweigh the benefits of employment. In contrast, I think you will struggle to find much to argue against the first part of your question. Also, if you do edexcel A Level Geography, then I'm fairly confident that this question could clash with the Superpowers unit, but you'd have to double check that. Other than that, I think this question would work well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending