The Student Room Group

how to stop my parents from smoking at the living room?

Hi my parents always smoke in the living room and I don't like the idea of having second hand smoke all over the house I have a dog and the smoke is very harmful. I tell them to smoke outside but when I'm not home they smoke inside the house what should I do?
I'm thinking of throwing away the cigarettes every time I see them smoking so they stop.

Scroll to see replies

Leave the gas tap open. That'll teach them.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Leave the gas tap open. That'll teach them.

I'm being serious
Show them a fire safety video and tell them that they might burn the house down.
Bonus points if you can get a firefighter to lecture them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Move into your own house where you control who does and doesn't smoke inside.

Seriously, I get that you don't like smoking, but you don't get to tell your parents what they can and can't do in their house.
Original post by skylark2
Move into your own house where you control who does and doesn't smoke inside.

Seriously, I get that you don't like smoking, but you don't get to tell your parents what they can and can't do in their house.

Your assumption is that OP is old enough to move out.
Original post by hungrysalamander
Your assumption is that OP is old enough to move out.

No, my assumption is that they're not old enough to move out. They still don't get to tell their parents what they can and can't do indoors. They literally _can't_ stop them smoking in the living room.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jordan James
Hi my parents always smoke in the living room and I don't like the idea of having second hand smoke all over the house I have a dog and the smoke is very harmful. I tell them to smoke outside but when I'm not home they smoke inside the house what should I do?
I'm thinking of throwing away the cigarettes every time I see them smoking so they stop.

Unfortunately it's their house, so they can smoke if they want to (cf. the ridiculous situation that it would be illegal for them to choose to smoke in the car if you were a minor and a passenger therein!).

It's disgusting and unhealthy to you, but the best thing is to leave the room if they're smoking, and go to a well-ventilated room away from the source of the pollution - or go outside. I doubt whether remonstrating with them, or pointing out the health implications for them as well as you would have much effect.
Original post by Jordan James

buy them a vape instead
This is strange - can they not be asked to go into the garden? Or just a local park? Ngl, I would print a bunch of those gross after smoking images and plaster them all over the house until they stop. But that's just me, and I'll probably be able to convince my parents not to anyway. If anything, just go to your room.
The thing about quitting cigs is you need to to want to, so pushing vapes, nicking their cigs and being a pest about it will generally not work. At the end of the day. you don't have much power in this situation beyond gentle encouragement, avoidance and patience.... and an acceptance that it might not work.
Original post by toxicgamage56
This is strange - can they not be asked to go into the garden? Or just a local park? Ngl, I would print a bunch of those gross after smoking images and plaster them all over the house until they stop. But that's just me, and I'll probably be able to convince my parents not to anyway. If anything, just go to your room.

"Go smoke in the garden"

"Lol, no, my house, you go in the garden, and take you lung caner fetish pics with you ya we weirdo"

Well that was a short confrontation :tongue:
Original post by StriderHort
"Go smoke in the garden"

"Lol, no, my house, you go in the garden, and take you lung caner fetish pics with you ya we weirdo"

Dang, you're right. Well, I'll lure them to the garden with a fresh batch of tar and nicotine then close the door on them.
Dang, you're right. Well, I'll lure them to the garden with a fresh batch of tar and nicotine then close the door on them.

But they can smoke you out?
tell them to smoke in the bathroom
thats what we do in our house
Original post by StriderHort
"Go smoke in the garden"

Exactly how it would go if someone told me I couldn't smoke in my own house.
Original post by Master0fReality
Exactly how it would go if someone told me I couldn't smoke in my own house.

Thanks, I was going for accuracy :tongue:

that's what I tell them to do but they are so irresponsible

Original post by Food!!
tell them to smoke in the bathroom
thats what we do in our house
again I have a dog which sleeps in the living room where the dog sleeps the secondhand smoke will stay in the living room

Original post by Reality Check
Unfortunately it's their house, so they can smoke if they want to (cf. the ridiculous situation that it would be illegal for them to choose to smoke in the car if you were a minor and a passenger therein!).

It's disgusting and unhealthy to you, but the best thing is to leave the room if they're smoking, and go to a well-ventilated room away from the source of the pollution - or go outside. I doubt whether remonstrating with them, or pointing out the health implications for them as well as you would have much effect.

well the landlord doesn't allow them to smoke inside but they still smoke

Quick Reply