The Student Room Group

GCSE vs IGCSE Medicine Application

Do medical unis look down on GCSEs compared to IGCSEs?
Original post by username6015541
Do medical unis look down on GCSEs compared to IGCSEs?

Definitely not. Not many UK schools offer IGCSEs. Also, my understanding was that IGCSEs are easier than regular GCSEs, but either way neither is 'looked down upon' by UK med schools
Original post by bea_murray0
Definitely not. Not many UK schools offer IGCSEs. Also, my understanding was that IGCSEs are easier than regular GCSEs, but either way neither is 'looked down upon' by UK med schools

are there any statistics to back this up? i don't really know what the exact breakdown of igcse vs gcse is across the UK
Original post by soulthm
are there any statistics to back this up? i don't really know what the exact breakdown of igcse vs gcse is across the UK

You’re welcome to have a look on Google! What sort of statistics are you looking for? Numbers of applicants vs offer holders with IGCSEs? For a particular med school or for medicine in general? I believe a lot of private schools offer IGCSEs, but most (if not all) state schools no longer offer them. Since most people don’t have much say in which they do, it would be unfair for med schools to disadvantage those with IGCSEs compared to GCSEs or vice versa. As long as a med school accepts IGCSEs, you wouldn’t be looked down upon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending