Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smoking and 15 year old girl Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    Does this actually work? I've never known it happen to anyone. I expect it would make you vomit a lot and give you a headache, but I mean, by todays laws, its probably child abuse or something isn't it?
    I wasn't being serious, I was just laughing at the thought of it... Probably is child abuse tbh, I dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    It's none of your damn business, and certainly not your place to do a damn thing about it.
    If one of my brothers girlfriends thought they had any control or impact over what I do in my life they'd get that ilusion removed pretty damn quick :/
    I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick. I myself am not going to do anything about it. I have no place telling this child what to do, nor would I even tell a parent how to parent their child. My point is that it is really upsetting his dad, who does not know what to do or where to go from here, and he asked his son for advice on what would get through to him at her age. This thread is more to ask what parent's have done/said to them that had any impact over their teenage smoking and what sort of punishment (if any) would be appropriate. Her dad is at his wits end and is wondering if he is completely blinded by his parent's deaths from lung cancer as to how he is handling it so far. I will not and am not considering that I have any place to talk to her about it or tell her off by any means and I did not intend to give that impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Alright, her family might be upset that she's started smoking.
    But instead of focussing on the "Don't do it, it's bad for you and killed your grandparents" how about you try the "Don't do it, it's illegal until you're eighteen" tact?

People seem to have lost sight of the fact that she's breaking the law.
    You are probably right. They probably haven't brought that bit up. I keep forgetting its gone up to 18. I thought that would help stop 15 year olds smoking as its so much harder to find an 18 year old (or someone who looks so) to buy cigs. I bet her friends probs just steal them off their parents though if their parents smoke.

ReputationRep:
    my parents caught me smoking when i was 15. they made me smoke 5 packets of **** in one sitting.
    (i wasnt even addicted - i was just a social smoker!)
    anyways, i didnt give up. i just told them i did. and i still smoke now. so my point is, she wont give up if you try to punish her - she'll just pretend she has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elziebelzie)
    my parents caught me smoking when i was 15. they made me smoke 5 packets of **** in one sitting.
    (i wasnt even addicted - i was just a social smoker!)
    anyways, i didnt give up. i just told them i did. and i still smoke now. so my point is, she wont give up if you try to punish her - she'll just pretend she has.
    1st person to have actually had that punishment. Were you sick?

Are you a full time smoker now?

That's part of the problem with punishing her. She does it outside the house now, so aside from stopping her going out altogether, its really difficult to police if she has the odd fag now and again. Its just trying to give her the confidence or whatever to just say no before the odd one becomes everyday becomes addiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Alright, her family might be upset that she's started smoking.
    But instead of focussing on the "Don't do it, it's bad for you and killed your grandparents" how about you try the "Don't do it, it's illegal until you're eighteen" tact?

People seem to have lost sight of the fact that she's breaking the law.
    I doubt she really cares about that part of it. Maybe even likes the kind of rebelion because she not old enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    I doubt she really cares about that part of it. Maybe even likes the kind of rebelion because she not old enough.
    She doesn't need to care about it. It's just another stance her family can take against it rather than regurgitating the same old words again and again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    1st person to have actually had that punishment. Were you sick?

Are you a full time smoker now?

That's part of the problem with punishing her. She does it outside the house now, so aside from stopping her going out altogether, its really difficult to police if she has the odd fag now and again. Its just trying to give her the confidence or whatever to just say no before the odd one becomes everyday becomes addiction.
    yes i was sick, a number of times. in fact i didnt really do 5 packets because when my parents looked away i would throw some of them over the fence at the back of the garden (they made me smoke them out there, in the drizzling rain.)
    nope i'm not a full time smoker - still a social smoker. i dont smoke the brand that they made me smoke as my punishment anymore though because it makes me feel nauseous.

ReputationRep:
    god i hate hypocrites
    most teenagers go thru it
    n the more u try to tell her not to do it
    the more she will
    its her life n at the end of the day nothin u do is gonna stop it
    just hope she grows out of it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.