The Student Room Group

Help for a 5th choice uni for CS

Hey, so I really need help choosing my 5th option for computer science.
I’m currently applying to:

University of Cambridge
University of St. Andrews
Imperial
UCL

I’m eligible for a guaranteed offer from St. Andrews and plan on using that as my insurance.
Thank you!!
Are you Scottish?
Original post by themask1

University of Cambridge
Imperial
UCL

I’m eligible for a guaranteed offer from St. Andrews and plan on using that as my insurance.
Thank you!!

Choose somewhere with a year in industrry
Its very risky choosing all three of Cambridge, UCL and Imperial - remember that regardless of your predicted grades, your chances ot an offer are very slim and its common for applicants doing this to get no offer from any of them. That leaves you wth St Andrews and ......

I'd advise you to switch out one of UCL / Imperial for Bath, Bristol, Manchester etc and to have another lower offer choice - a guaranteed offer isnt a guaranteed place. Courses with placements / industrial experience / study abroad add enormously to your graduate job chances.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Are you Scottish?

Yes
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Choose somewhere with a year in industrry

Original post by McGinger
Its very risky choosing all three of Cambridge, UCL and Imperial - remember that regardless of your predicted grades, your chances ot an offer are very slim and its common for applicants doing this to get no offer from any of them. That leaves you wth St Andrews and ......

I'd advise you to switch out one of UCL / Imperial for Bath, Bristol, Manchester etc and to have another lower offer choice - a guaranteed offer isnt a guaranteed place. Courses with placements / industrial experience / study abroad add enormously to your graduate job chances.

Thank you!
Yes

Don't the loans make going to a Scottish university a better option? I can understand applying for Cambridge and Imperial so long as you are guaranteed an offer from St Andrews. Why not apply for, say, Edinburgh and Dundee/ Aberdeen etc?
Thank you!

The last figures I saw was that Imperial was making 1 in 20 offers for CS. Cambridge is probably not much lower and neither is UCL so it is a massive gamble applying to all 3. Knowing you have a guaranteed offer from St Andrews takes much of the risk away so it might be worth it and it doesnt really matter if all the others are rejections as is likely. In your circumstances having a guaranteed offer you might as well go for the best you can. Where you go is very much personal choice. Maybe Durham, Warwick or Edinburgh dependant on your preference.

University of Cambridge
Imperial
UCL

Thank you!!

Hi, just wanted to offer some general advice to bear in mind when picking your 5th choice. Think it is definitely worth having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you have offers from to see what the general consensus is, as well as checking out some of the rankings for computer science.
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing.

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending