The Student Room Group

Further Marhs for Engineering at Cambridge

I’m planning to apply to Cambridge engineering for 2023 entry, but i do not do further maths (Maths, Physics, Economics), and i have been learning relevant further maths content in my own time such as matrices complex numbers etc.

Also, my school does have a further maths course, so its notvlike i didnt have the choice.

Is it even worth applying since i’ve heard 95% of engineering students at Cambridge have done further maths, and of those 5%, they didnt have the option of it.
Original post by 3Point141
I’m planning to apply to Cambridge engineering for 2023 entry, but i do not do further maths (Maths, Physics, Economics), and i have been learning relevant further maths content in my own time such as matrices complex numbers etc.

Also, my school does have a further maths course, so its notvlike i didnt have the choice.

Is it even worth applying since i’ve heard 95% of engineering students at Cambridge have done further maths, and of those 5%, they didnt have the option of it.

Generally id say follow the stats, if it is circa 95% then pragmatically its not going to happen unless their is something highly unusual and very strong in your application that makes you an exception to the rule...

That said, id do more research, check all the college requirements and their is no harm in contacting Cambridge directly, although they are unlikely to formally comment on anything other then the official entry requirements (if you attended in person you could ask an admissions tutor in person and see if they are a bit more open when they know its just a light chat .. although im guessing open days this year maybe over as they tend to happen in summer out of term time).
---

@Peterhouse Admissions
Original post by 3Point141

Are you in England?
Reply 3
@3Point141
Cambridge Open Days - 15 and 16 of September.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days

Original post by mnot
<... > although im guessing open days this year maybe over as they tend to happen in summer out of term time.
Original post by mnot
Generally id say follow the stats, if it is circa 95% then pragmatically its not going to happen unless their is something highly unusual and very strong in your application that makes you an exception to the rule...

That said, id do more research, check all the college requirements and their is no harm in contacting Cambridge directly, although they are unlikely to formally comment on anything other then the official entry requirements (if you attended in person you could ask an admissions tutor in person and see if they are a bit more open when they know its just a light chat .. although im guessing open days this year maybe over as they tend to happen in summer out of term time).
---

@Peterhouse Admissions

Hi there!

I am not going to steal @Muttley79's thunder here, as I think they will be able to give you some good advice about how to access FM content independently of your school.

However, what I would say is that we don't rule people out for not having Further Maths. We do prefer applicants with the strongest Maths skills, as demonstrated (amongst other things) in the Engineering Admissions Assessment. Learning Further Maths content in your own time will undoubtedly make your application stronger than if you had not done that, but it's important to be realistic. 95% of successful applicants to Cambridge for Engineering who were taking A Levels were taking Further Maths, meaning just 5% of applicants with A Levels were successful without it. There is no harm in putting in an application if you are applying to four other universities which do not require Further Maths, or where not having it will not be a disadvantage, but you need to be aware that Cambridge is likely to be a long shot. Whether it's 'worth' applying is a decision only you can make.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there!

I am not going to steal @Muttley79's thunder here, as I think they will be able to give you some good advice about how to access FM content independently of your school.

However, what I would say is that we don't rule people out for not having Further Maths. We do prefer applicants with the strongest Maths skills, as demonstrated (amongst other things) in the Engineering Admissions Assessment. Learning Further Maths content in your own time will undoubtedly make your application stronger than if you had not done that, but it's important to be realistic. 95% of successful applicants to Cambridge for Engineering who were taking A Levels were taking Further Maths, meaning just 5% of applicants with A Levels were successful without it. There is no harm in putting in an application if you are applying to four other universities which do not require Further Maths, or where not having it will not be a disadvantage, but you need to be aware that Cambridge is likely to be a long shot. Whether it's 'worth' applying is a decision only you can make.

Are cooleges aware that all schools in England can offer FMaths tuition through AMSP? Hence my question to the OP :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest