Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone...

I seriously do not get buffers!!! They are so complicated. I just had an equilibria test and had no idea how to go about the following three questions...

Please help me out?

(1) State and explain whether a 1.0 dm^3 solution of 0.10 mol NH3 and 0.20 mol HCl will form a buffer solution?

(2) State and explain whether a 1.0 dm^3 solution containing 0.20 mol NH3 and 0.10 mol HCl will form a buffer solution?

(3) Explain how you would prepare a buffer solution of pH 3.75 starting with methanoic acid?
    For this question, a previous part asked me to calculate the Ka value, [H^+] and pH which were: Ka = 1.78 x 10^-4, [H^+] = 1.33 x 10^-3 and pH = 2.87

Thank you everyone :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHMQ786)
    Hi everyone...

I seriously do not get buffers!!! They are so complicated. I just had an equilibria test and had no idea how to go about the following three questions...

Please help me out?

(1) State and explain whether a 1.0 dm^3 solution of 0.10 mol NH3 and 0.20 mol HCl will form a buffer solution?

(2) State and explain whether a 1.0 dm^3 solution containing 0.20 mol NH3 and 0.10 mol HCl will form a buffer solution?

(3) Explain how you would prepare a buffer solution of pH 3.75 starting with methanoic acid?
    For this question, a previous part asked me to calculate the Ka value, [H^+] and pH which were: Ka = 1.78 x 10^-4, [H^+] = 1.33 x 10^-3 and pH = 2.87

Thank you everyone :yep:
    Just remember that buffers are composed of a weak acid/base and its constituent salt =) that should help you through! Which part of the question do you not understand?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.