The Student Room Group

Should I drop sociology or criminology?

So I recently started year 12 and I picked 4 a levels (sociology, criminology, photography and psychology) however I honestly regret picking 4 as I don't think I'll be able to manage it and I feel that I'll only get good grades if I do 3, the issue is I don't know which one to drop because even though I find criminology really fun and something I've been interested in since I was young, sociology goes really well with psychology (I want to do forensic psychology in the future) and I'm worried that I'll be much less likely to get into uni without the a level. (Also I won't drop photography as it's something I absolutely love and I may do it as a side job in the future)
Original post by Avsopss
So I recently started year 12 and I picked 4 a levels (sociology, criminology, photography and psychology) however I honestly regret picking 4 as I don't think I'll be able to manage it and I feel that I'll only get good grades if I do 3, the issue is I don't know which one to drop because even though I find criminology really fun and something I've been interested in since I was young, sociology goes really well with psychology (I want to do forensic psychology in the future) and I'm worried that I'll be much less likely to get into uni without the a level. (Also I won't drop photography as it's something I absolutely love and I may do it as a side job in the future)

Hi,
The criminology qualification is usually a level 3 WJEC which is not fully recognized and respected by all universities so this may be something to consider (although Kent generally accepts these, you may want to look into this further).
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements
Depending on your exam board, you may be offered to do Crime and Deviance as a section in sociology. This has it's criminology links which you may enjoy and as far as I am aware, AQA offer this. Most university courses are flexible in what A Levels you have taken and are more interested in the grades achieved, this means that you will be neither more or less likely to get in based on the subjects you have chosen! The entry grades for forensics are generally quite high but usually only require 3 A Levels. An example of this is Kent, where the requirements are at AAA-AAB
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2021/1389/psychology-with-forensic-psychology
Hope this helps :smile:
- Malek
University of Kent Rep
Criminology os NOT an A level and is essentially a waste of time
Its a daft Welsh exam board diploma that is full of True Crime nonsense and very little social science theory - itrs academically lightweight and this is why many top Uns will not accept it.

Sociology covers social deviancy and social norms.
No-one needs 4 A levels. Drop Criminology and focus on getting three top grades in the other subjects.
Original post by Avsopss

This is difficult, from someone who took psychology and sociology, they do compliment eachother well this therefore makes everything that bit easier. However, criminology is not an A level, so it probably is the most useless out of the four, however it could be somewhat useful for forensic science? If photography is something you enjoy id stick to it. Taking three heavy content based subjects (crim, soc, and pysch) may become a regret later on as it will be a lot of work when it comes to year 13. at the end of the day three A levels would get you further as many good unis will only except three A level grades and not the equivalent. i would probably stick to sociology psychology and photograghy
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest