The Student Room Group

Think I’ve injured my finger and I’m sort of freaking out

Chancing are I’m just making things more dramatic than they need to be, but I’m worried I’ve broken my finger on my right hand (I’m right handed) and I have my gcse mocks in November.

Earlier today I had to play netball in pe, and just my luck I got sorted with a bunch of over competitive girls who took it way too seriously. In my second game the ball rolled to me and I went to pick it up, so my hands were under the ball and this girl from the other team ran over and pushed the ball down really hard on my fingers, and when I kept trying to pick it up she kept pushing it down and I felt a sort of grit feeling in one of my fingers and I had to let go because my finger suddenly hurt a lot.

I can’t make my finger touch my palm, it’s bruised and swollen in the the top joint area, when I try to stretch it out it feels like my finger’s being pulled all the way back, it’s super sensitive and really hurts even if I just put light pressure on it. Writing and drawing hurts too.

It could be I’ve just badly sprained it or something, but if I have broken it what should I do? My mocks are in a few months and plus I’m doing art gcse 😬
Original post by MagicKats
Chancing are I’m just making things more dramatic than they need to be, but I’m worried I’ve broken my finger on my right hand (I’m right handed) and I have my gcse mocks in November.

Earlier today I had to play netball in pe, and just my luck I got sorted with a bunch of over competitive girls who took it way too seriously. In my second game the ball rolled to me and I went to pick it up, so my hands were under the ball and this girl from the other team ran over and pushed the ball down really hard on my fingers, and when I kept trying to pick it up she kept pushing it down and I felt a sort of grit feeling in one of my fingers and I had to let go because my finger suddenly hurt a lot.

I can’t make my finger touch my palm, it’s bruised and swollen in the the top joint area, when I try to stretch it out it feels like my finger’s being pulled all the way back, it’s super sensitive and really hurts even if I just put light pressure on it. Writing and drawing hurts too.

It could be I’ve just badly sprained it or something, but if I have broken it what should I do? My mocks are in a few months and plus I’m doing art gcse 😬

Phone your GP practice for advice before they close tonight or visit A&E !!
Or contact NHS 111 for advice about this.

The swelling could stop you bending up the finger thoroughly.
If the finger is broken then it would be out of shape 🙂. Unfortunately if it is broken then it will take about 6 - 8 weeks to heal up. There's nothing much they can do except trying to pull it back into place or at worse a operation to fix it.
Take some painkillers and ibuprofen if it's hurting you until you get it looked at.

Plus the school should have attended this for you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Phone your GP practice for advice before they close tonight or visit A&E !!
Or contact NHS 111 for advice about this.

The swelling could stop you bending up the finger thoroughly.
If the finger is broken then it would be out of shape 🙂. Unfortunately if it is broken then it will take about 6 - 8 weeks to heal up. There's nothing much they can do except trying to pull it back into place or at worse a operation to fix it.
Take some painkillers and ibuprofen if it's hurting you until you get it looked at.

Plus the school should have attended this for you.

Sadly my parents only really feel the need to contact medical support unless the pain goes on for a around a week 😬 same thing happened when I broke my arm once
This happened last period so I didn’t really feel the need to go to our school reception for an ice pack or anything, it was only when I got home and the pain was worsening that I was like hey something ain’t right here

But thx I’ll see if I can get my hands on some painkillers and I’ll try to ask my parents to contact our GP if it still hurts 😄
Original post by MagicKats
Sadly my parents only really feel the need to contact medical support unless the pain goes on for a around a week 😬 same thing happened when I broke my arm once
This happened last period so I didn’t really feel the need to go to our school reception for an ice pack or anything, it was only when I got home and the pain was worsening that I was like hey something ain’t right here

But thx I’ll see if I can get my hands on some painkillers and I’ll try to ask my parents to contact our GP if it still hurts 😄

I would still ask your parents to get it checked out to make sure it's nothing serious but if it is broken it will heal itself but maybe your finger will be slightly out of alignment compare to the other fingers on your hand ✋.

Keep eye on it okay.
A NHS registered nurse ( midwife).

Quick Reply