Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey every one, One of my best friend is always scared of Escalators she cannot use them even in a shopping mall.

But now she has to travel by tube train to London. she is worried that she cannot use the escalators. is there any advice I can give her?

will there would be Lifts/stairs for her to use? pl give some advice.

ReputationRep:
    lol... i think iwas scared of escalators until i was about 13! :p: i used stairs wherever possible... but then i had to start using them on a regular basis (for the underground) and i got over it, really there was nothing else i could do

rush hour, people pushing u on and off :o: the best way to get over them imo ... she'll be alright

ReputationRep:
    There might be stairs, I've never seen any lifts except at the railway stations at airports.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm well i was on the escalators about half an hour ago my advice is don't look at the stupid video screens playing adverts, the angle of the escalator made me feel sick whilst trying to read them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)
    lol... i think iwas scared of escalators until i was about 13! :p: i used stairs wherever possible... but then i had to start using them on a regular basis (for the underground) and i got over it, really there was nothing else i could do

rush hour, people pushing u on and off :o: the best way to get over them imo ... she'll be alright
    maybe she should avoid rush hour to begin with and if slowly go through the tube at that time so she doesn't get a shock.

ReputationRep:
    If you can plan your route at stations with the wheelchair symbol in the dot, it means they have step-free access. Jubilee line is generally good for that. There are stairs at quite a few stations, but it isn't usually marked if there or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @[email protected])
    hey every one, One of my best friend is always scared of Escalators she cannot use them even in a shopping mall.

But now she has to travel by tube train to London. she is worried that she cannot use the escalators. is there any advice I can give her?

will there would be Lifts/stairs for her to use? pl give some advice.

Depends on which station she is going to, most stations in Zone 1 have escalators...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    maybe she should avoid rush hour to begin with and if slowly go through the tube at that time so she doesn't get a shock.
    yeah probably, avoid it if she can ... :yep: 13 year old me never had that chance and had to brave the escalators at rush hour :p:

ReputationRep:
    The majority of Zone 1 tube stations are escalatored. There are a few which are lift only (Covent Garden, Goodge Street, Lancaster Gate spring to mind), and a few on the Circle Line are stairs only. If you're a first-timer, avoid rush hour if you can so you can take it slow to get used to the system, it really isn't that bad though, if I can cope in the Tube, anyone can :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what is the actual fear? I would think being stuck underground is more scary, or when it's jam packed in the train.

ReputationRep:
    Russel Square also has lifts instead of escalators. Some stations have both options, but most just have escalators. My friend is so terrified of tunnels/lifts etc she has never been on the underground and swears she never will.

ReputationRep:
    I also have a fear of escalators. It stems from when I was very young I slipped on some stairs (the type that don't have a 'back' to them) and got my foot stuck through it. I panicked and it made me worry whenever I had to use stairs like that, I worried with escalators as well that I would slip on them (esp the ones that seem pretty quick, and when you put one foot on it moves before you have the second foot on!) Anyway, I know a lot of people think it is silly! But try as I might I still struggle with them. I am now a lot better with stairs (esp been as I had to use stairs like that every day at college!) But I still don't like escalators, I end up standing at the start of them and struggling to step on them, people build up behind me and start pushing a bit and I panic even more. Vicious circle really.

Anyway, just thought I would explain that I do understand!! There are some stations that have lift access (shown on the tube map with a wheelchair sign). But they are the only ones you can be sure have a option other than escalators. Some stations have escalators and stairs, but you can't tell which ones. Def try and avoid rush hour to start with, makes it all 10 times worse!! I don't know what it is that your friend struggles with about escalators, but my worst bit is stepping on them. Which I actually find much easier on tube ones than ones in shops etc. They have a flat run to start with for a few steps and then go up/down. Rather than changing to steps straight away. So I find if I walk straight at it I can walk on to it normally and then readjust my feet so I am stood on a step and then just wait and walk off at the end. Rather that having to step on a step straight away. Does that make any sense?!? Another thing, make sure your friend is aware of standing to the right, it can be very abrupt to non-londoners if you don't realise and suddenly find someone running towards you!! Is there anyone who can go with her the first time so she knows what they are like down there?

ReputationRep:
    I ended up in A&E recently, due to falling up a tube station escalators! Bloody awful! But the barriers when you have to insert your ticket scare me most

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.