Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently got an Oyster PAYG card, but still not sure how it works. Do I just swipe at at the station or do I actually have to add journeys to the card beforehand?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You top it up with money and then just use it as you go.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx

ReputationRep:
    You put money on it at the station (or online, if you've registered it). Then you touch in at the start of your journey and out at the end. When your balance on the card gets low, put more money on it.

ReputationRep:
    Its simply like pas as you go top up cards and work d same way

ReputationRep:
    Go up to the ticket machine in a tube station, whack the card on the yellow reader and follow the instructions.

If you go on a bus, slap your Oyster on the reader when you get on, but not when you get off like on the tube. 90p will be deducted, unless you've already spent £3 on buses that day, in which case you can ride free for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure what the fare cap is for the tube, probably something like £5.50 for zones 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
    Just another quick question. If I have only a few £s left on my card, and I make a journey that costs more than what's on the card, will I be charged or do I have to pay the fee at the station?

ReputationRep:
    On the tube, it will let you make your journey as long as you have 1.50 (enough for the minimum fare). If you go across zones and get charged more your Oyster will be charged extra. If you don't have enough money on it to pay then you'll be left with a negative value on the card which is paid the next time you top up.

I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Go up to the ticket machine in a tube station, whack the card on the yellow reader and follow the instructions.

If you go on a bus, slap your Oyster on the reader when you get on, but not when you get off like on the tube. 90p will be deducted, unless you've already spent £3 on buses that day, in which case you can ride free for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure what the fare cap is for the tube, probably something like £5.50 for zones 1 and 2.
    Cap for Zones 1-2 is £4.80 I believe.

There's a table somewhere on the TfL site with everything on.

ALSO, a point a lot of people don't know is that if you have a Young Person's Railcard, you can get the discount applied to your PAYG Oyster and you'll pay 33% less in single fares and caps.

ReputationRep:
    Your card will go into negative figures if you don't have enough for the journey, like someone said you need a minimum of £1.50 for the minimum fare, although I thought if you go just one station it costs only £1, no? So you'll obviously end up paying the difference when you next top up.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Crisps]Cap for Zones 1-2 is £4.80 I believe.

ALSO, a point a lot of people don't know is that if you have a Young Person's Railcard, you can get the discount applied to your PAYG Oyster and you'll pay 33% less in single fares and caps.[/QUOTE]

So you can't top up at a touch screen in this case as there is no opinion to put on the discount? So you have to go a ticket desk with a person and show your Young Person's Railcard and your Oyster Card to get the discount? I have NatWest 16-25 Railcard if that's what you're referring to.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=SilkySmooth]
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Cap for Zones 1-2 is £4.80 I believe.

ALSO, a point a lot of people don't know is that if you have a Young Person's Railcard, you can get the discount applied to your PAYG Oyster and you'll pay 33% less in single fares and caps.[/QUOTE]

So you can't top up at a touch screen in this case as there is no opinion to put on the discount? So you have to go a ticket desk with a person and show your Young Person's Railcard and your Oyster Card to get the discount? I have NatWest 16-25 Railcard if that's what you're referring to.
    I think you'd need to show it at the counter then they'd charge you like £6.66 instead of £10 for instance

ReputationRep:
    Show it at the counter and they'll just activate the discount on your card, then the discounts will be applied. You'll still top up the same amounts wherever or however you go about it, but your daily price caps will be 33% lower, so your YPR discount comes into efffect that way.

So the amounts you pay in wont really change, they'll just be paid in less often, which is how you save

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.