Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, bit unsure about what to do.

Our gas bill is £105, and states our meter is at 9179. I happen to know that is a lot of **** as I've been recording the gas meter, and it is currently at 9123.

Southern electric are asking for over double what we used this quarter. What suggestions do you have so I can sort this out?

Thanks, a pissed off Truered:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ring them and say. Or you could just accept it pay it, and then at the end of the year get a shed load of money back =P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/F...faqid=9;Common

It is not necessary for us to read your meter every quarter. We attempt to read your meter every six months to ensure your bills accurately reflect your usage. If the estimated readings on your bill are too high or too low, please contact us with a meter reading on 0800 200 995.

ReputationRep:
    Ended up doing that, it was an automated service. I put in the right reading, but being the constant worrier I am, now I keep wondering if I gave the right account number :o:

ReputationRep:
    go to a key miles better...

plus its cheaper at the moment on southern...

recently just joined southern from edf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    Ended up doing that, it was an automated service. I put in the right reading, but being the constant worrier I am, now I keep wondering if I gave the right account number :o:
    Your bill probably says 'this is based on an estimated reading, we'd like to send you an accurate bill'. It will be on the left hand side of your bill with a thumbs down sign.

And next to the reading on the back it will say '(E)'.

ReputationRep:
    There really good at sorting it out, given npower (never ever use!) gave them the wrong start value, they've credited my account with £50 to make up for npower over charging me.

and they correct the estimates happily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Your bill probably says 'this is based on an estimated reading, we'd like to send you an accurate bill'. It will be on the left hand side of your bill with a thumbs down sign.

And next to the reading on the back it will say '(E)'.
    :yep:

Now to wait for the new bill.

Just glad one of my housemates wasn't here. She was getting stressed about the gas bill (someone left the heating on all night at least twice) and she might have gone through the roof when she saw £105.

And having a hole in the roof would only make the heating situation worse.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience it can take up to a week for the new bill to arrive. So if it's not with you by next Fri, give them a call. I also gave them correct meter readings on Thurs so I will let you know when my new bill arrives Don't worry the won't demand you pay the original bill as long as you provide them with an accurate reading to use instead.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.