The Student Room Group

is switching schools for GCSE worth it in my situation?

hi,
this is my first post so don’t be brutal lol

i currently go to a school which has a ton of gcse options, and some that i know i’d love to do. the thing is, there’s another school i want to go to, but they have a lot less gcse options and no options that i specifically want to do. the do, however, have a really good teaching style and non-gcse lessons and extracurriculars that i know i’d love to do, and know i’ll use in my career path, such as video editing, etc. they also have a sixth form course that’d be perfect for me, a content creation course. another thing is the fact that it’s a media school, and i’ll also be able to study for a Level 2 UAL diploma in creative media productions and technology, which is worth 4 gcses (and has some courses i know i’ll love)

in my current school, i don’t have many (good) friends, but i do know the teachers and enjoy most lessons. i am also doing DofE in this school, so i’d probably rush everything i need for it in one year instead spreading it out over two.
this school does, however offer GCSEs like child play and development and music live (i don’t enjoy the technological/digital aspects of music as much)

so TLDR one school has good subjects and a chance at meeting new people (since everyone that’ll be there will have just moved schools) but trash GCSE options and other school has good GCSE options and bad everything else. should i switch to bad gcse+good social and other lessons school or stay in current school?

btw the gcse options in the new school are
- art
- drama
- music tech
- business
, none of which i am interested in or care about (at least not much)

i think i’d choose art (especially since i could do mainly photography) but i don’t know what other option could help me for a content creation-type career path

so
1) should i switch schools
2) what should i pick as my second gcse option

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Based on what you have said i would balance in favour of moving to the other school

You need to enjoy your school years and will likely do better in a school environment you prefer to be in. It will be the level 3 qualifications that determine your university options not the level 2 GCSE ones. IE what you take at A level, BTEC etc etc.

Ultimately, only you can make this choice, but you have little to lose. If your parents are supportive and the other school will accept you and you believe you will be happier then go for it.

Good Luck
Original post by LsDad
Based on what you have said i would balance in favour of moving to the other school

You need to enjoy your school years and will likely do better in a school environment you prefer to be in. It will be the level 3 qualifications that determine your university options not the level 2 GCSE ones. IE what you take at A level, BTEC etc etc.

Ultimately, only you can make this choice, but you have little to lose. If your parents are supportive and the other school will accept you and you believe you will be happier then go for it.

Good Luck

thanks! i think i’ll move to the new school, like you said it’ll be a way better environment and it’s not like gcses matter anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest