The Student Room Group

If I want to take oriental studies in university, which A level subjects would I need

i'm planning to take oriental studies in university(out of interest). I wish to go to oxbridge or SOAS. Which a levels do i need? thx:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Li Qingxiao
I'm a Chinese middle school student and i'm planning to take oriental studies in university(out of interest). I wish to go to oxbridge or SOAS. Which a levels do i need? thx:smile:

This information is listed on the web site of each university.

The University of Oxford page on Oriental Studies, here, says "Students are not expected to have studied an Oriental language before. A language to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another equivalent can be helpful to students in completing this course, although this is not required for admission."

The University of Cambridge page on Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, here, says, "All Colleges require: an A Level/IB Higher Level in the European language (if you want to combine with a European language). All Asian and Middle Eastern languages are taught from scratch, so there’s no requirement for any previous knowledge of them."

Given the nature of the university, SOAS doesn't have a single Oriental Studies course. I suggest you use this page as a starting point and then check the page of any individual degrees in which you're interested for any subject requirements.

You might also be interested in looking at www.theuniguide.co.uk which shows the most popular A levels studied by existing students. So these aren't requirements, they're simply what your peers may well have studied. For example, the most popular A level studied by Asian and Middle Eastern Studies students at the University of Cambridge were Mathematics, French and Spanish.
Reply 2
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest