Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have one hell of a problem.

My flatmate asked if this girl could move into our house.

Shes already given her the landlords telephone number and apparently shes moving in next weekend.

Now this girl isnt nice i dont like her ive met her twice - the first time i thought thank god shes gone and the second time she just barged past me didnt even say hello and completely ignored me on the way out.

Not only that when i left my make up on the mantelpiece she picked it up tidyed the front room and left it outside my door - shes not even moved in and its my fecking house!!

Something else which is niggling me is if this girl had wanted to move in then why didnt she ask all of us - why did she ask behind all of our backs??
    Also as me and our other flatmate dont know her then why didnt she make an effort to talk to us before she decided she wanted to move in??

Im not even sure my flatmate really wants her to move in either and to be fair theres hardley enough room in the house as it is! Theres already 3 of us!!
    What do i tell my flatmate?

ReputationRep:
    all sit down together and ask her if she is sure she wants her to move in, say you dont really know the girl and maybe she should try and be friends with the rest of you before you move in, hopefully she will talk to the girl and she will make an effort or your flatmate will reconsider her moving in!

ReputationRep:
    tell her no.. If you have a contract with the landlord he can't just move someone in, so its on you guys. So just say NO. Talk to your other housemates and see how they feel. If you are going to hate living with her, its better that she doesn't come in - even if it causes strain between you and the other housemate (who did this very behind your back...)

I dont think it will cause strain infact i think the other girl really doesnt want her to move in either and shes only saying yes because they are really good friends!!
    I just can believe she didnt ask us all first. I would ask everyone if i wanted to move in or just come round for a chat!!
    I mean thats the least i would do really.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it's your house and I don't think anyone can force you to accept. I would sit your other two flatmates together and tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to go and **** a cactus.

ReputationRep:
    Sit down as a group and explain your concerns. Your third flatmate may back down and tell this other girl to **** off. Surely she can't move in if two out of three of you don't want her there?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a house meeting is required!!!

is it a joint tenency agreement with the land lord (cause then you have a say) where as if its all separate contracts (like for the individual room) the land lord can do what they want.

if she does move in though, think of it in a positive way... theres someone else to chip in with rent and bills!!!

ReputationRep:
    Grow a spine, for ****'s sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Grow a spine, for ****'s sake.
    Helpful.

OP, how big is your house? Is it a four person house? Or is it for three tenants? When you first signed the tenancy agreement, how many people did your landlord say the place could house?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.