Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else actually hate a flatmate or flatmates? I got a flatmate, he complains about everything I do deliberately, like the smallest of things, calls me an idiot and retard all the time, patronises me and thinks he knows everything. He literally sits in front of the T.V. producing his own running commentary on everything whilst playing football manager on his laptop, and yet he complains that no one in the flat does anything.

Every time I cook he seems to get off the couch, come near me and watch me cook, comment on everything I'm doing and if something isn't to his standard he'll say some stupid sarcastic comment with a patronising tone.

I can't do much, if I say something I'm scared he'll actually hit me, he would, if not he'll mess all my food stuff up in the kitchen. Mind you he's quite big, width wise, and I'm very small.

I mean seriously, if I'm going to have to live with this crap for one year blood is going to be spilled.

/end rant

Stand up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    grow some dude. seriously.

if he's bullying you, the last thing he expects is for you to stand up to him.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I sure am.

ReputationRep:
    and what if he hits you? what gonna happen? you gonna go back to ur bedroom and cry into the pillow for the rest week? grow up some balls mate... trust me, if u show to him that u r not scarred, no matter how big he is, he will stop bulling u!

ReputationRep:
    You'll either have to try to ignore him and let his silly comments wash over you. Or stand up to him.

One of my mates is a complete pain. He snaps at me all the time - he had a go a few days ago because I walked into the kitchen to get a glass whilst he was in there! He takes everyone else's things (varying from milk to baking trays etc - he took almost all my cutlery and I've had to watch like a hawk to get it back and yesterday, I left a glass on the side, realised and went back for it within about 5 minutes of leaving it and he'd took it!), makes a mess, never helps to tidy up and then moans at us when he can't find clean plates and stuff (usually because all his are piled in the sink or in his room). The rest of us can't stand him any more, especially since he came out the great line "they are just the people I live with, why should I make the effort".

I've decided to ignore him. When he snaps I just smile and then get on with what I am doing. I think he has issues - he seems to want to be both the centre of attention and to have the place to himself at the same time. Lets just say, there is not chance that I would ever ever ever want to live with him again lol.

ReputationRep:
    Threaten him. It'll soon shut him up - he's only picking on you because he thinks you won't stand up to him.

Anyway, my flatmate in the room next door is really getting on my nerves - actually it's more his friends. This morning one of them waltzed into our flat at 03.45 and went up to my flatmates' door and starts hammering on it and shouting at him (I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually in anyway). He did this for about 2 minutes, then went into our kitchen and then came out again and started banging again.
    That was the last straw - I WAS LIVID :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I basically told him that if there was anyone in the room they would have answered by now and to get the **** out of our flat because there are people trying to sleep :cool: It felt good to tell someone off.

When his back is turned, hit him with a pan. :ninja: But yes, i have some annoyingly loud and obnoxious housemates.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, my flatmates were awful. Flat of two lads and just me (the other girl left because one of our flatmates bullied her!), they were the dirtiest people I've ever known, ugh! Smoked pot all day so our flat always stunk, were really loud and banged on the doors all the time. One guy even went home for the weekend and left his radio on full blast in his room, on purpose :mad:

I dropped out of uni last week though, thank God I'll be living at home and commuting to uni next yr! Gutted I still have to pay for that hell hole though, gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    You'll either have to try to ignore him and let his silly comments wash over you. Or stand up to him.

One of my mates is a complete pain. He snaps at me all the time - he had a go a few days ago because I walked into the kitchen to get a glass whilst he was in there! He takes everyone else's things (varying from milk to baking trays etc - he took almost all my cutlery and I've had to watch like a hawk to get it back and yesterday, I left a glass on the side, realised and went back for it within about 5 minutes of leaving it and he'd took it!), makes a mess, never helps to tidy up and then moans at us when he can't find clean plates and stuff (usually because all his are piled in the sink or in his room). The rest of us can't stand him any more, especially since he came out the great line "they are just the people I live with, why should I make the effort".

I've decided to ignore him. When he snaps I just smile and then get on with what I am doing. I think he has issues - he seems to want to be both the centre of attention and to have the place to himself at the same time. Lets just say, there is not chance that I would ever ever ever want to live with him again lol.

It's like when I'm cooking my meal, I have to prepare my stuff and I like to do it near the sink and the kettle since it's more convenient but it blocks the way of the cupboard with the plates and the sink as well. He would come in, says "Move it" then tries to slam the cupboard door on me, last time he nearly sacked me in the balls, and he's like I could have done that harder. I mean what the hell mate, if I'm in your way just say excuse me like the other flatmates. I know I should prepare elsewhere but I didn't realise that I was that much of an obstacle but then again even if I did do it somewhere else he would probably get something out of the cupboard near me just to tick me off.

ReputationRep:
    Get in there and **** 'im

ReputationRep:
    What an idiot! There's nothing I can really suggest other than to tell him, in no uncertain terms, to "Eff orff!" as it were.

ReputationRep:
    Mines a stuck up ***** who thinks because Daddy pays for everything she has the right to steal my £3 bag of grapes, half a cucumber and a pot noodle!

ReputationRep:
    One of my flatmates last yr just ignored me for no reason at all for the year. I asked if i had done anything wrong and he said no but he still ignored me when i entered a room or something or laughed at me when he woke me up early in the morning. The other night i decided to stand up for myself when i happened to bump into him one night and i asked what his problem was. It was all for nothing bcos he still ignores me and he has never said sorry. His loss. It really upset me tho cos i felt i was being bullied and i already had yrs and yrs of that b4 uni and i didnt need a so called friend treating me like crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    Yes, I sure am.
    Me too. ****** makes me listen to K.T. Tunstall all the *****ing time.

ReputationRep:
    My flat mate insists on getting drunk, throwing frozen beer cans at the kitchen wall, pushing me around the kitchen in the presence of my boyfriend and then when i have the curtoursey to ask him to stop shouting screams EFF YOU at my door. Because i mentioned it to my other flat mates he is now planning a rave tonight. i can't wait to call security on his fat ass. =]

although he does have work friday and saturday so i might engage in a party at the flat with all my friends. see how it goes XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrilleh)
    My flat mate insists on getting drunk, throwing frozen beer cans at the kitchen wall, pushing me around the kitchen in the presence of my boyfriend and then when i have the curtoursey to ask him to stop shouting screams EFF YOU at my door. Because i mentioned it to my other flat mates he is now planning a rave tonight. i can't wait to call security on his fat ass. =]

although he does have work friday and saturday so i might engage in a party at the flat with all my friends. see how it goes XD
    Show him how it's done.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise stabbing him with a rusty fork. :yep:

Nah, seriously though, as others have said, you have to stand up to him. Next time he does something like that just tell him to **** off and mind his own business. There's no need to be diplomatic with someone like that; just tell them how it is.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.