The Student Room Group

Do you need nursing experience to apply to nursing courses

I really want to do nursing. But I realized this late so I didn't have years to prepare or take nursing related classes.

Will they accept someone without experience if I can prove that I'd be a good nurse? ( I've done 3 different types of volunteering before working with people) Everyone starts somewhere
Original post by brohe7
I really want to do nursing. But I realized this late so I didn't have years to prepare or take nursing related classes.

Will they accept someone without experience if I can prove that I'd be a good nurse? ( I've done 3 different types of volunteering before working with people) Everyone starts somewhere

No, you don't need experience to get into nursing.
I had some HCA experience before starting my nursing degree, but never did a single "nursing related class" - both my husband and his brother never did "nursing related classes", didn't have any nursing related work experience, and are both now successful registered nurses.
You need to be able to demonstrate why you want to be a nurse and why you are the ideal nursing student candidate. If you can do this, including the 6 Cs in things, you'll be fine. (You can easily use your volunteering in this, too).
I've also mentored a lot of student nurses who have no prior healthcare experience whatsoever.
Original post by brohe7

No you don't need experience for nursing.

As Emily has said in her post #2 you need to demonstrate why you want to be a nurse and Idea candidate for the course. Maybe find some volunteering work or part-time job as a HCA to gain experience prior to going to doing the nursing degree.
I never had any experience when I did my midwife degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
No, you don't need experience to get into nursing.
I had some HCA experience before starting my nursing degree, but never did a single "nursing related class" - both my husband and his brother never did "nursing related classes", didn't have any nursing related work experience, and are both now successful registered nurses.
You need to be able to demonstrate why you want to be a nurse and why you are the ideal nursing student candidate. If you can do this, including the 6 Cs in things, you'll be fine. (You can easily use your volunteering in this, too).
I've also mentored a lot of student nurses who have no prior healthcare experience whatsoever.

Hi! I'm so relieved and glad that's true : )

What would be a good answer to "Why you want to be a nurse"?

Personally, I've always been very empathetic for people, considerate of their feelings, nice, and always desired close & emotional relationships w people. I can think of no better way to use this skill for understanding ppl, helping people & enjoying it. Not to get to deep but I also see it as giving something I wish I had more of as a child. I had a bad experience growing up, my childhood was lonely. I constantly craved to be listened to, heard, understood, seen, etc but rarely got it. Sorry, I think this last sentence is rather dark but I wanted to mention it. Anyway, what do u think?
Original post by brohe7
Hi! I'm so relieved and glad that's true : )

What would be a good answer to "Why you want to be a nurse"?

Personally, I've always been very empathetic for people, considerate of their feelings, nice, and always desired close & emotional relationships w people. I can think of no better way to use this skill for understanding ppl, helping people & enjoying it. Not to get to deep but I also see it as giving something I wish I had more of as a child. I had a bad experience growing up, my childhood was lonely. I constantly craved to be listened to, heard, understood, seen, etc but rarely got it. Sorry, I think this last sentence is rather dark but I wanted to mention it. Anyway, what do u think?

Unfortunately everyone answers will be completely different as reason why it's hard to probably answer this question ❓.

WHY INTERVIEWERS ASK “WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A NURSE?”
Nursing is a wonderful field with many diverse opportunities, yet the great rewards it offers come with many challenges. It’s’ not a career to take lightly. Therefore, the interviewer will want to know how serious you are about the position.

Nursing is a profession with a prerequisite for assisting others in potentially high-stress environments. So by answering this question, you are given the opportunity to highlight not only your skills, but more importantly, your passion for nursing and ability to keep cool under pressure.

Additionally, interviewers hope to learn why you got interested in the field in the first place. Telling a story about an impactful experience with a medical professional or about the sense of satisfaction you feel when helping a patient can help illustrate that you’re not only skillful, but also have deep compassion for the people you’ll be working with.

Few examples of why you want to be a good nurse are :-

Start at the root. If you’ve wanted to be a nurse since you were a kid, start there. If you got into it medicine thanks to an impactful college professor, make that your starting point.

The idea is that you don’t want to go back unnecessarily far, but you also don’t want to start in the middle. Not everyone can pinpoint an exact moment (and that’s fine), but try to reflect on what it was that drew you to nursing.

Tell a story. Most interviewers prefer narratives over bullet point facts especially with a personal question like this. Don’t feel like you have to make up some great tale about how a nurse saved the day when you were a child, but bring in real moments when it became clear that nursing was the career for you.

Talk people and experiences. Nursing is all about building relationships, so your answer should touch on your empathy and ability to form bonds with the people you work with and serve. In this way, your answer will show that you want to be a nurse because you truly enjoy the process of nursing.

Bring it to the future. Close your answer with a nod to the future and what you’d like to accomplish in your brilliant new nursing career. Bringing your answer from the past to the future shows that you’re forward-thinking and determined enough to make your dreams a reality.

Quick Reply