Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leave your questions for our money advice expert Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Exactly.

My questions: What is the point of the "expert" when most
    Critical word being 'most'
    Many of my questions cannot be answered on here (I don't think...) and this is an opportuntity for getting them answered. - if it has cost money then that would have been a silly thign for TSR but im not sure it has cost.

How can I borrow in a currency other than sterling? (ie for a House) yes I know about currency risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Critical word being 'most'
    Many of my questions cannot be answered on here (I don't think...) and this is an opportuntity for getting them answered. - if it has cost money then that would have been a silly thign for TSR but im not sure it has cost.

How can I borrow in a currency other than sterling? (ie for a House) yes I know about currency risk.
    Yeh but lets be honest, if you really wanted expert advice would you go to a forum on the internet such as TSR? :rolleyes:

However, nice questions.

ReputationRep:
    Google it, the answers are out there and it can be done.

I've just done it and found companies that do foreign currency mortgages secured on UK assets but by posting the links that would be advertising which isn't allowed on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    Google it, the answers are out there and it can be done.

I've just done it and found companies that do foreign currency mortgages secured on UK assets but by posting the links that would be advertising which isn't allowed on TSR.
    Advertising and informing are two different things, something which I'd hope the moderators could distinguish between :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've been told off for a similar thing before - directed a user to a forum that was much more suited to their needs and had all the answers they were looking for. Apparently someone complained about my post and a mod took out the offending link. The mod was actually a friend of mine too and didn't hold back doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Exactly.

My questions: What is the point of the "expert" when most of the questions are easily answered? And how much money did TSR waste on this stupid idea? Was this paid for out of the advertising revenue raised by my wiki page?
    I think it's a good idea :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    I think it's a good idea :dontknow:
    So what questions do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orthala)
    So what questions do you have?
    Read it and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    You want to read it again? Firstly, I'm not asking for a psychic report... I am asking the expert how best students should prepare for graduating in these difficult times. Secondly, fancy pissing off? If the question is not good enough, then it won't be chosen as one she will be asked - simple really.
    1. No need for language.
    2. I am standing by my point that calling in an expert to an online forum where anyone can sign up, is pointless.
    3. You are asking her to read the future as you are saying how should they prepare in these difficult times - how can she answer that as she doesn't know what UKs economy is going to be like ina year, when actually you mean what should students be doing now in case the worse happens, which is not what you said.

ReputationRep:
    How could I best invest 15k

ReputationRep:
    Laura, a warm welcome to TSR. I was trying to think of a question bank charges related or bank related and I think I have two questions for you.
    Do you think the FSA waiver with regards to the OFT test case is working to the detriment or betterment of claimants and should the question of hardship be even better defined by the FSA when it comes up for renewal in January 2009?

Apologies but question 2 is more bank bailout specific.
    I do not believe that the government bailout of RBS Group is very well thought out. Do you think that the government has made a mistake by alienating investors of the banks'/not creating value for taxpayers or creating confidence in the bank by stating that no dividend can be paid out while they have a shareholding in the banks'?

Hope those questions are meaty enough for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Exactly.

My questions: What is the point of the "expert" when most of the questions are easily answered? And how much money did TSR waste on this stupid idea? Was this paid for out of the advertising revenue raised by my wiki page?
    The idea is to come up with questions that aren't easliy answered by other students. Questions that can be given a well thought out response by someone whose job it is to give financial advice.

As with most content related opportunities like this there is no money involved, Laura is kind enough to give her time and we feel it's a useful service to provide to you so i'm facilitating it. Especially relevant at the moment when there is so much financial uncertainty about.

I created a thread in this forum a few weeks ago asking whether it would be beneficial to do it and got a very positive response so here we are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.