The Student Room Group

Further maths a level

I am currently in my second week of college and my a level subjects are maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I do not want to do 4 a levels and I am looking to drop one of the a levels which would be either computer science or further maths. At university I am interested in a mechanical or aerospace engineering degree, maths degree, physics or astrophysics degree or a computer science degree. I am unsure on whether to drop further maths or physics. I am currently enjoying computer science to be more enjoyable and finding further maths to be very confusing. Further maths is very difficult and I do find computer science to be easier. Should I drop further maths and go with the A-levels of maths, physics and computer science. Would dropping further maths reduce my chances by a lot for a good university. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Safwan321
I am currently in my second week of college and my a level subjects are maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I do not want to do 4 a levels and I am looking to drop one of the a levels which would be either computer science or further maths. At university I am interested in a mechanical or aerospace engineering degree, maths degree, physics or astrophysics degree or a computer science degree. I am unsure on whether to drop further maths or physics. I am currently enjoying computer science to be more enjoyable and finding further maths to be very confusing. Further maths is very difficult and I do find computer science to be easier. Should I drop further maths and go with the A-levels of maths, physics and computer science. Would dropping further maths reduce my chances by a lot for a good university. Thanks

If you want o get in the top uni imo its necessary for you to do fm as courses such as cs at unis like imperial or ucl you will need a fm a level i believe at a or a star. But it entirely depends on the uni you want to go to and what degree you want to study in. Do what you enjoy most would be my best tip.
Original post by Safwan321

The following degrees require maths only:

Maths (from mid-tier universities)

Computer science

The following degrees require both maths and physics:

Mechanical engineering

Aerospace engineering

Physics

Astrophysics

It's recommended that you have further maths for the following degrees:

Maths (especially top tier universities)

Computer science (but it's not a biggy)

Physics

Astrophysics

In terms of facilitating subjects, I would drop computer science if anything (it's not a facilitating subject). However, you enjoy this and get good grades then I would keep it.
I would not drop Physics as it's a facilitating subject crucial to a number of degree choices that you have.
If you need to choose between physics and further maths, drop further maths. It will significantly make your application a lot less competitive, but if you have to choose between that and good grades, I would prioritise the grades,

Quick Reply

Latest