The Student Room Group

How to react to my GF's insecurities about her weight?

Recently my GF has been telling me she's frustrated because she doesn't fit into some of her clothes, or that they're tighter than before. She has said she thinks she has "ugly" body. I don't at all. She's ******* gorgeous to me.

I know this a pretty lose-lose situation, and tbh I don't know how to get around it.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Recently my GF has been telling me she's frustrated because she doesn't fit into some of her clothes, or that they're tighter than before. She has said she thinks she has "ugly" body. I don't at all. She's ******* gorgeous to me.

I know this a pretty lose-lose situation, and tbh I don't know how to get around it.

Any advice?

How much is she weighing in at?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Any advice?

Let her know often, as I'm sure you're currently doing, that you love the way she looks.

It sounds like she's suffering from a low self-esteem. If you could discuss it with her and try to work out where it stems from (e.g. does she compare herself to others, is social media taking an influence over her mindset), it may help.

Remind her that if she does spend any time on social media, that the majority of it is heavily photoshopped and not real at all.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to become healthier, however. Tell her that you could both perhaps try eating a healthier diet or working out together.

If it becomes obsessive and/or it's really making her upset, then I suggest you advise that she reaches out for professional support.
Remind your gf that clothes will often shrink in the wash or after being drycleaned.
Hormonal changes and water retention levels also affect weight along with bloating.
Ultimately there is little that you can do beyond reassuring her that you think she has always been in good shape, you remain attracted to her and encouraging her to stay active & healthy.

I do understand some of how your gf feels.
Sometimes an intense focus upon weight or other aspect of personal appearance can arise from: childhood bullying incidents, past traumas, trying to retain a sense of control or purpose, self-esteem issues or overcompensating for once being a plump child/visibly overweight adult.
I am a calorie counter and remain the same weight as when I was 13.
It would be a nightmare for me if I couldn't fit into most of my clothes because I had gained a lot of muscle or got visibly fatter.

You can also ask your gf whether she wants to change some of her lifestyle habits.
In terms of doing some daily youtube workouts, joining a gym or making some alterations to her diet.
If she wants to visibly lose weight, she'll have to go into calorie deficit by at least 500 calories a day.
Increasing her daily exercise and reducing her daily calorie intake from food, drinks, sauces and snacks.
She can also try doing some short youtube workouts that can help with toning muscles, posture and improving body appearance.
Weight loss cannot be spot targeted without surgery, everybody is different in terms of their individual fat distribution and places where weight gain or loss is most visible.

Quick Reply

Latest