R and S Watch

cptbigt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
When looking at trans compounds, such as trans-1,2-diamino-cyclohexane, which amine group would take priority? I know that in cis-1,2-diaminocyclohexane its (S,R) configuration. I thought trans was (R,R) but I can't seem to work out how. Any help?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cptbigt)
trans-1,2-diamino-cyclohexane
lol don't use the naming function either!

I get the trans to be (R,R), one of the amine groups is one carbon away so takes lower priority than the NH2 directly bonded to the chiral centre
cptbigt
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
lol don't use the naming function either!

I get the trans to be (R,R), one of the amine groups is one carbon away so takes lower priority than the NH2 directly bonded to the chiral centre
I seem to get (R,S) for the trans one.....or am I forgetting to rotate it so the lowest priority group is pointing away or something?
Cyco
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, point the lowest priority group away from you/into the plane of the board/screen/paper, and it's usually H.

You should then have your three groups coming off. Going from branch with lowest molecular mass, then middle, then highest, draw an arrow curving around the chiral centre. If it goes clockwise - it's R/Rectus, or counter-clockwise S/Sinister.
cptbigt
Rep:
?
I'm going to look it up some more, still confusing me
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to look it up some more, still confusing me
always helps to build a model then you will be able to see that both centres are the same
cptbigt
Rep:
?
Where are you guys placing the third priority group? Are you going one carbon out from each direction from the chiral centre? I'm doing that, so the amine next to it becomes 2, and the C-C becomes the third...
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
Where are you guys placing the third priority group? Are you going one carbon out from each direction from the chiral centre? I'm doing that, so the amine next to it becomes 2, and the C-C becomes the third...
yeah: 1 = NH2, 2 = CHRNH2, 3 = CH2R, 4 = H
cptbigt
Rep:
?
yeah: 1 = NH2, 2 = CHRNH2, 3 = CH2R, 4 = H
I must be rotating it wrong then... I tried using a model but that just confused me more Can't seem to get the rotation right so that the H is facing away.
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
I must be rotating it wrong then... I tried using a model but that just confused me more Can't seem to get the rotation right so that the H is facing away.
Maybe this will help...The R group represents the ring
Attached files
cptbigt
Rep:
?
Maybe this will help...The R group represents the ring
Ooo thanks so much! Its slowly starting to make sense....just takes a while with me
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
Ooo thanks so much! Its slowly starting to make sense....just takes a while with me
Welcome - you'll get the hang of it
cptbigt
Rep:
?
I rechecked over the trans one and it comes out as (1S,2S) though It can be R,R if its drawn differently to what I have on the sheet. The one we have is on the attachment
Attached files
EierVonSatan
Report 10 years ago
I rechecked over the trans one and it comes out as (1S,2S) though It can be R,R if its drawn differently to what I have on the sheet. The one we have is on the attachment
yeah, it's because the ring can undergo a ''ring flip'' switches the equatorial with the axial positions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.08%
No - I got the required grades (134)
56.78%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.14%

Watched Threads