Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The title of my research is; An investigation into how the advertising campaign for Skins contributed to its success.

So the majority of you here are the target age range for the show, what do you think? How do you think the campaign contributed to the shows success... the tv campaign, the campaigning on myspace etc...

Even if you dont like the show you can still answer

Using MySpace was a good plan. At the time Skins came into existence MySpace was probably the most used social networking site. By using it the advertisers didn't only have easy access to a large volume of people (with a lot of their target age range), they were also using a medium that was familiar to said target group, which would encourage people to have a look.
    In addition to this the sheer number of different advertising mediums used meant that the adverts were everywhere you looked - inescapable. This raised intrigue - or at least it did for me - and also increases the amount to which people will be discussing the show. And we all know word of mouth is one of the most effective ways of advertising something.

The Skins parties were also a fantastic way of raising awareness, I reckon. Everyone likes a good old party. The fact that you have an opportunity to attend something "exclusive" automatically draws attention to whatever it is the party is promoting.

Finally Skins has always appealed to the younger generation with their adverts. Not just with the language used etc, but in the fact that they are always encouraging people to get involved. Their latest campagin, asking for actors, directors, costume designers etc.. it appeals to people's dreams. The fact that desires could be met draws attention and interest. Even if people aren't selected they'll generally proceed to follow the show, to see what the general outcome was.

So all in all I reckon the campaign would have had huge effect on the show's success.

I'm in no way a media student and don't know if that's what you're looking for, but those are my two cents.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.