Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/7713341.stm

The man who is responsible for killing 270 people when Pan Am flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie in 1988 has requested release from prison on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    nope. he committed a crime, has been convicted of it, and should die in prison, regardless of how he dies.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not.

Bet he gets released though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. He will probably try do a final stunt.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he has honestly and sincerely repented for his crimes, so no, probably not.

I understand a father of one of the victims supports his release out of compassion - I reject that basically on the grounds that it will bring our judicial system into international contempt for the sake of catering to a man who obviously has very little compassion for others.

ReputationRep:
    Kill the ******* . . . out of mercy of course.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think he deserves to die as slowly and as painfully as is possible. I don't care if it amounts to torture - he killed 270 people. You could never torture a man enough in order to match the pain and suffering that those 270 families have had to endure.

ReputationRep:
    His application was rejected by the court...that was known before this topic was created.

As for his conviction there is a lot of doubt surrounding it. Many of the families of the victims do not believe the right man was convicted for this atrocity. Personally, I'm not sure. The evidence appears to add up, but then again there appears to be a lot of secrecy surrounding this case, and that can only fuel speculation that the wrong man is in prison for this crime.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Given that he was probably innocent anyway, I think he should probably be released. There were a large amount of unanswered questions about Lockerbie. It seems more likely that the Lockerbie bombing was in fact carried out by an Iranian group in a revenge attack after a US warship downed an Iranian airliner. In fact, there is sufficient doubt of the safeness of his conviction that he'd been given leave to appeal anyway.

I wouldn't read too much into Libya's 'acceptance of responsibility'- Gaddafi has been trying for some time to rehabilitate both him and Libya in the eyes of the international community and the 'acceptance' has more to do with persuading the UN to lift sanctions than anything else.

There is a good amount of evidence to suggest that the man currently imprisoned for the Lockerbie bombing did not carry it out- the Iran links are too numerous and too unlikely to be mere coincidence. Anyway, whatever happens, I hope justice is served for the victims of the Lockerbie atrocity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.