The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MPhil vs MSc help

I am applying to do my master's at Oxford starting October 2023, but I've seen two great courses that I would love to apply for, however one is MPhil and one is MSc, both have the same degree title. Which one do I choose? can someone give me advice and tell me how they differ?

I know the MPhill is a year longer than the MSc and honestly, that's my main reason for picking the MSc because I know I won't be able to afford it without a scholarship (which is extremely hard to get).

Although, saying that, the scholarships do exist and it is possible I could be rewarded even some kind of reduction in fees... and living in Oxford for two years would be a dream. I also would love to extend my study as long as possible, the only real issue here is money.

Does anyone have any experience in this dilemma? How likely is it that I will get financial help from Oxford or from scholarships?

Also worth mentioning, my plans after Oxford are to study for a second master's (it's required for my chosen career) and then eventually do a PhD part-time.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I mean, it all depends on the course you want to do, right? I would say that most social sciences and humanities excluding Economics are MPhil, and everything else MSci.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending