The Student Room Group

Matcha and green tea

Hi there, just want to start with saying I don’t usually eat more than one small meal a day. I’m 13st exactly and 5’6. This week I’ve started fasting for a few days at a time and limiting my calorie intake. I’ve also started drinking matcha and green tea aswell as black coffee. Would any of this actually help to lose weight?
Any advice welcome x
Okay. This is not the best weight loss plan for many reasons. First of all it is not sustainable. Even if you lose weight, there is a high likely hood of regaining it as you aren't creating healthy habits. It also leads to an increased chance of binging because you will be hungry.

Your body needs fuel. If you eat the right things that is much much better for your body. If your body doesn't get enough food then there isn't enough glucose. Glucose is what is used for energy. If there isn't enough of this, your body will end up producing ketones. Problem with this is that your red blood cells (that carry oxygen around your body) can't use ketones as an energy source and your brain can only use them to a limited degree. Fasting for a few days at a time is not healthy.

A sudden decrease in weight loss can be dangerous and can cause lots of damage to your body.

I would suggest looking into proper nutrition/nutritional theory. Figure out how many carbs and protein you need. Set yourself a calorie deficit (no less than 1600 is what I've seen recommended but to start maybe only go 200 below the average recommended which is for women 2000 so 1800). Try to exercise 4-5 times a week. Creating a routine and healthy diets will mean that the weight loss is able to be maintained and that when you reach your target weight you will be able to stay there.

If you stick with fasting you will reach your target weight then what? start eating normally again and put the weight back on? Keep fasting and losing weight to a completely dangerous weight?

Wanting to lose weight is fine but please try to do it healthily
Original post by flamingolover
Okay. This is not the best weight loss plan for many reasons. First of all it is not sustainable. Even if you lose weight, there is a high likely hood of regaining it as you aren't creating healthy habits. It also leads to an increased chance of binging because you will be hungry.

Your body needs fuel. If you eat the right things that is much much better for your body. If your body doesn't get enough food then there isn't enough glucose. Glucose is what is used for energy. If there isn't enough of this, your body will end up producing ketones. Problem with this is that your red blood cells (that carry oxygen around your body) can't use ketones as an energy source and your brain can only use them to a limited degree. Fasting for a few days at a time is not healthy.

A sudden decrease in weight loss can be dangerous and can cause lots of damage to your body.

I would suggest looking into proper nutrition/nutritional theory. Figure out how many carbs and protein you need. Set yourself a calorie deficit (no less than 1600 is what I've seen recommended but to start maybe only go 200 below the average recommended which is for women 2000 so 1800). Try to exercise 4-5 times a week. Creating a routine and healthy diets will mean that the weight loss is able to be maintained and that when you reach your target weight you will be able to stay there.

If you stick with fasting you will reach your target weight then what? start eating normally again and put the weight back on? Keep fasting and losing weight to a completely dangerous weight?

Wanting to lose weight is fine but please try to do it healthily

When I was around 14 (18 now) I did this and was on around 300-500 calories a day. Lost loads of weight and felt really healthy. Later on things got worse and ended up with anorexia. And by 17 I had fully recovered. I’m now on around 600-750 calories a day and I still feel fine. im bar staff so I’m on my feet and on the go minimum of 6 hours a day 4-5 days a week. I know it isn’t healthy but I’m so upset about how I look and my weight. I worry constantly that my boyfriend doesn’t find me attractive even tho he assures me he does. I always feel very insecure especially at work. would it help if I increased things like proteins and healthy fats but still on low calories?
Original post by Anonymous
When I was around 14 (18 now) I did this and was on around 300-500 calories a day. Lost loads of weight and felt really healthy. Later on things got worse and ended up with anorexia. And by 17 I had fully recovered. I’m now on around 600-750 calories a day and I still feel fine. im bar staff so I’m on my feet and on the go minimum of 6 hours a day 4-5 days a week. I know it isn’t healthy but I’m so upset about how I look and my weight. I worry constantly that my boyfriend doesn’t find me attractive even tho he assures me he does. I always feel very insecure especially at work. would it help if I increased things like proteins and healthy fats but still on low calories?

If you had anorexia before returning to the habits is not healthy. You put the weight back on and are now doing it again because it isn't healthy or sustainable. 750 calories is not enough. You will lose weight too quickly and its not healthy for your body. I know its hard but if you can't set yourself a healthy calorie goal of around 1800 then i strongly recommend getting advice from a doctor on how to do this healthily. You can lose weight (and maintain it) in a healthy way

Quick Reply

Latest