The Student Room Group

Can I reapply with UCAS if I've met the conditions of my offer but decided not to go?

I applied through UCAS in October 2021 (for 2022 entry). I got an offer and met the conditions of AAB. My course is due to start in about a week but I have changed my mind and would like to take a gap year and reapply to a different course for 2023 entry.

I called UCAS to ask them to withdraw my application but they said that if they do, I will not be able to reapply again this year as it will flag up as a duplicate application, regardless of whether I use a different email address. They advised me to ask my university instead to withdraw me from that particular course so I would enter into clearing, and this way, I would be allowed to reapply this year.

I am not sure if I misunderstood the UCAS agent on the phone, but he left me a bit confused.

PLEASE HELP! How can I reject the place I am currently holding at university and reapply to a different course this year for 2023 entry? Would I need to make a brand new UCAS account (as this is what my school told me)? Do I just leave my current UCAS application in clearing and forget about it and make a new one?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by carboxylicacid
I applied through UCAS in October 2021 (for 2022 entry). I got an offer and met the conditions of AAB. My course is due to start in about a week but I have changed my mind and would like to take a gap year and reapply to a different course for 2023 entry.

I called UCAS to ask them to withdraw my application but they said that if they do, I will not be able to reapply again this year as it will flag up as a duplicate application, regardless of whether I use a different email address. They advised me to ask my university instead to withdraw me from that particular course so I would enter into clearing, and this way, I would be allowed to reapply this year.

I am not sure if I misunderstood the UCAS agent on the phone, but he left me a bit confused.

PLEASE HELP! How can I reject the place I am currently holding at university and reapply to a different course this year for 2023 entry? Would I need to make a brand new UCAS account (as this is what my school told me)? Do I just leave my current UCAS application in clearing and forget about it and make a new one?

You will need to open an account for 2023 entry, this is what I did but before results day. You can use the same email etc.

I suspect the UCAS advisor got the wrong end of the stick and thought you wanted to apply again for 2022 entry.

So long as you haven't formally enrolled at the uni, you don't need to reject the place, you can just leave it and it will time out. However, it's good manners to contact them and advise them that you won't be taking up the place.

With regards to reapplying, from this year UCAS are letting people apply again with the same login details. So when the new application cycle starts you should just be able to start a new app, (so long as you are not showing as placed the other uni).
Original post by Admit-One
I suspect the UCAS advisor got the wrong end of the stick and thought you wanted to apply again for 2022 entry.

So long as you haven't formally enrolled at the uni, you don't need to reject the place, you can just leave it and it will time out. However, it's good manners to contact them and advise them that you won't be taking up the place.

With regards to reapplying, from this year UCAS are letting people apply again with the same login details. So when the new application cycle starts you should just be able to start a new app, (so long as you are not showing as placed the other uni).

Hi, I just recieved this email from UCAS:

"We have been informed that you do not intend to take up the place you were holding. The course was due to start in Sep 2022 and had a point of entry 1. If you did not want to withdraw your application, please contact us immediately on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international) for advice. All calls will be charged at your standard network rate.

As you have been withdrawn completely from the UCAS Undergraduate scheme, you cannot be reconsidered again in this year's application cycle. You will, however, be able to reapply in next year's application cycle if you wish to do so."

Please clarify, does this mean I can apply for 2023 entry or not? gosh i am so scared!
Reply 4

hi! i did exactly this last year. reject your 2022 place and create a NEW ucas account using a different email and reapply :smile:
I think there's been some confusion here. If you will be applying for 2023 entry, that's not the same cycle. The warning you are getting is so you know that you can't do it and then take a last minute place in clearing to start in the next couple of weeks.
Original post by skylark2
I think there's been some confusion here. If you will be applying for 2023 entry, that's not the same cycle. The warning you are getting is so you know that you can't do it and then take a last minute place in clearing to start in the next couple of weeks.

aaaah I understand now, thank you so much!
Original post by 14t
hi! i did exactly this last year. reject your 2022 place and create a NEW ucas account using a different email and reapply :smile:

okay thank you so much you dont understand how relieved i am!
Hi, I just recieved this email from UCAS:

"We have been informed that you do not intend to take up the place you were holding. The course was due to start in Sep 2022 and had a point of entry 1. If you did not want to withdraw your application, please contact us immediately on 0371 468 0 468 or +44 330 3330 230 (international) for advice. All calls will be charged at your standard network rate.

As you have been withdrawn completely from the UCAS Undergraduate scheme, you cannot be reconsidered again in this year's application cycle. You will, however, be able to reapply in next year's application cycle if you wish to do so."

Please clarify, does this mean I can apply for 2023 entry or not? gosh i am so scared!

No, that relates only to applications in this years cycle. It specifically says you can reapply when the 2022/23 cycle begins this October.
Original post by Admit-One
No, that relates only to applications in this years cycle. It specifically says you can reapply when the 2022/23 cycle begins this October.

alright, thank you a million times!
Original post by 14t

From this year it’s not necessary to make a new account. UCAS will let you use the same logon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending