The Student Room Group

What subjects should I pick for alevel

If I want to do either maths or economics at uni should I just do further maths , economics and maths or should I also take psychology.
Only thing is I hate psychology and I find it really boring. So will the top unis still take me if I only do economics further maths and maths at a levels because I saw people were saying unis like lse won’t take me if I take further maths as my third option.
Original post by sid1111
If I want to do either maths or economics at uni should I just do further maths , economics and maths or should I also take psychology.
Only thing is I hate psychology and I find it really boring. So will the top unis still take me if I only do economics further maths and maths at a levels because I saw people were saying unis like lse won’t take me if I take further maths as my third option.

The first step is to check the entry requirements of the degrees that you want to do. If you want to do either maths or economics at university, I struggle to understand why you need psychology, especially if you hate it.

Entry requirements for math and quantitative economics degrees is A Level Maths, with further maths expected to be taken (if offered at your college) if you intend to apply for top end universities. You will often just need one extra A Level to complete the set of 3. Psychology was never a requirement. In fact, economics was never even asked for in (quantiative or nonquantitative) economics degrees.

Most universities will expect you to have 3 A Levels, and most will only look at 3 A Levels. I have yet to see a math or economics degree that requires 4 A Levels.

If you want a joint degree, you can look into Economics with/and Mathematics bachelors'. There are plenty out there. There is also a discipline called Mathematical economics, which is essentially maths applied to economics settings, but the degree isn't available until master's level as far as I know.
Original post by sid1111

Only thing is I hate psychology and I find it really boring.

Why don't you read that back to yourself, and see if you can answer your own question?
Original post by sid1111

All universities as far as I know will accept Maths, FM and Economics for Maths or Economics degrees. For something like Medicine some wont accept Maths and FM and will ask for another subject.

The only universities that might prefer a 4th subject would be LSE for Economics and Imperial for Maths. Unless you intend applying to Oxbridge or these 2 only take 3 subjects. If you intend applying for these universities check their entrance requirements.
Original post by sid1111

Check the entry requirements for the courses you want to do on unis websites.
If you dont like psychology though, then i dont recommend taking it,
FM.
It will be far more useful to you than Psychology.
Reply 6
Thank you that really helps i have been stressing for couple days regarding what i should pick as my friend was telling me lse don’t except applications which further maths and maths and another subject they want further maths as a 4th subject thats why i was picking psychology and i checked their website they said they want 3 alevels which dont overlap. But i dont think i want to go to Lse anyway i would rather go imperial and do a maths degree there so i will probably drop psychology next week and run with maths further maths and economics.
Reply 7
Original post by MindMax2000
The first step is to check the entry requirements of the degrees that you want to do. If you want to do either maths or economics at university, I struggle to understand why you need psychology, especially if you hate it.

Entry requirements for math and quantitative economics degrees is A Level Maths, with further maths expected to be taken (if offered at your college) if you intend to apply for top end universities. You will often just need one extra A Level to complete the set of 3. Psychology was never a requirement. In fact, economics was never even asked for in (quantiative or nonquantitative) economics degrees.

Most universities will expect you to have 3 A Levels, and most will only look at 3 A Levels. I have yet to see a math or economics degree that requires 4 A Levels.

If you want a joint degree, you can look into Economics with/and Mathematics bachelors'. There are plenty out there. There is also a discipline called Mathematical economics, which is essentially maths applied to economics settings, but the degree isn't available until master's level as far as I know.

Original post by swanseajack1
All universities as far as I know will accept Maths, FM and Economics for Maths or Economics degrees. For something like Medicine some wont accept Maths and FM and will ask for another subject.

The only universities that might prefer a 4th subject would be LSE for Economics and Imperial for Maths. Unless you intend applying to Oxbridge or these 2 only take 3 subjects. If you intend applying for these universities check their entrance requirements.

That really helped thank you i checked uni requirements and lse want furthermaths as the fourth a level but its alright i dont even want to go there any more i would rather go imperial or oxbridge and do a maths degree. And i checked their entry requirements and they said they want a * in maths and further maths and an a in another subject which is hopefully doable and sounds much better than taking psychology just so i could apply to go to lse and probably not get in as i would most likely fail psychology.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
FM.
It will be far more useful to you than Psychology.

Yh your right i will drop psychology next week and just go with maths further maths and economics

Quick Reply

Latest