The Student Room Group

Oxford

I want to study Biochemistry and I'm predicted 3 A* for my A Levels which include biology, chemistry and business studies. Although my GCSEs are not the best with 4 A*s and 6 As (I know they are decent but not Oxford standard right?). As for my personal statement I believe it's looking really good since I have lots of suppercurriculars and good reflections on my experiences and I demonstrate my ambitions throughout. Is it worth applying to Oxford?
Without A-level Maths you may not be competitive for Oxford biochemistry...
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Without A-level Maths you may not be competitive for Oxford biochemistry...

I emailed the oxford admission service about this and they said they accept around 10 applicants each year who have not studied a level maths
Original post by H3CKT0R
I emailed the oxford admission service about this and they said they accept around 10 applicants each year who have not studied a level maths

So about 10% of successful applicants - and only around 14% are successful, so it's 10% of those 14%. Pretty slim chances.

It's a long shot no matter what because of the A-level Maths situation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
So about 10% of successful applicants - and only around 14% are successful, so it's 10% of those 14%. Pretty slim chances.

It's a long shot no matter what because of the A-level Maths situation.

But we don’t know how many applicants there were without maths. What if there were only 10 to begin? Not making a particular argument one way or the other. Just highlighting missing data.
Original post by RichE
But we don’t know how many applicants there were without maths. What if there were only 10 to begin? Not making a particular argument one way or the other. Just highlighting missing data.

Fair point - I just had a skim through and can't see any FoIA requests that seem to ask about that data specifically either! I may make one over the weekend to see what the picture actually looks like :smile:
Original post by H3CKT0R
I want to study Biochemistry and I'm predicted 3 A* for my A Levels which include biology, chemistry and business studies. Although my GCSEs are not the best with 4 A*s and 6 As (I know they are decent but not Oxford standard right?). As for my personal statement I believe it's looking really good since I have lots of suppercurriculars and good reflections on my experiences and I demonstrate my ambitions throughout. Is it worth applying to Oxford?

You've got good grades, definitely oxford standard. Definitely apply, you've got a good chance of getting an interview IMO. Doing A-level maths does make an application for biochem more competitive but it doesn't necessarily make you a better biochemist or show that you enjoy biochem more. Getting an interview is really the only hurdle you have to jump over and it sounds likely you will get an interview. Don't worry too much. As you said, there are people that get in without maths A-level. Good luck :h:
Reply 7
Original post by H3CKT0R

Did u do dofe?
Reply 8
Original post by szphue
Did u do dofe?

Haha yeah, I actually did.

Quick Reply

Latest