Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my second one the day before my driving test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    I had my second one on Tuesday...my arm still hurts, I fainted about half an hour after I had it and I was sick the next day, and my headache lasted for ages
    Stupid NHS cheap ****** injections...if they really wanted to they could make one which didn't hurt so bloody much and make people ill afterwards :mad:
    First: No they couldn't. A medication without side-effects is basically an unachievable goal.
    Secondly: It has nothing to do with the NHS, they don't make it or have anything to do with it's discovery or development, they only dish it out :rolleyes:

(Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    I had my first HPV vaccine yesterday. Everything was fine until about 20 minutes later when I started to feel very sick, my eyesight went really out of focus and blurred and my hearing became very muffled. I couldn't walk in a straight line and had to sit down whilst my friend called my Mum. Doctors have said that this isn't a known side effect and they don't really know what caused it. I know it wasn't anxiety over the actual injection because needles have never really concerned me. They thought that I might have nearly fainted but the feelings lasted for a few minutes and I had a really bad headache afterwards so they couldn't be sure what it was. They said I could continue with the programme but would need someone with me afterwards.

Just wondering really has anybody else experienced any unpleasant side effects or felt ill after the HPV jab... it was cervarix btw. I know that there have been some deaths 'possibly' caused by Gardasil. So yeah, has anybody heard of anything like this?

OP: It might have been psychological, it might have been a coincidental incidence of illness caused by something entirely unrelated, or it could possibly have been an unusual reaction to the vaccine. Although apparently fainting has been quite commonly associated with Gardasil. (Which, btw, has not been responsible for ANY deaths). When you go for your next one, let the nurse or doctor know what happened last time, ask to see the patient information leaflet which lists the possible side effects. If it's not on there and it happens again, fill out a yellow card for adverse reaction reporting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)

OP: It might have been psychological, it might have been a coincidental incidence of illness caused by something entirely unrelated, or it could possibly have been an unusual reaction to the vaccine. Although apparently fainting has been quite commonly associated with Gardasil. (Which, btw, has not been responsible for ANY deaths). When you go for your next one, let the nurse or doctor know what happened last time, ask to see the patient information leaflet which lists the possible side effects. If it's not on there and it happens again, fill out a yellow card for adverse reaction reporting.
    Hmm I'm pretty sure it wasn't psychological - injections really don't worry me.
    I know that they don't know what caused the deaths but it seems a bit much to be just coincedence.
    I'm not going to have anymore! The community nurse phoned me up today and advised against it and she's doing the yellow card thingy too.

ReputationRep:
    My first one hurt LOADS and I had a heavy arm for 4 days. This one didn't hurt at all, but now my arm is a bit heavy (got it done on weds). I guess it depends from injection to injection.

ReputationRep:
    arrh im worried, i hate needles! Do they ask any questions or can everyone have it? I did get something through from the doctors with an appointment date.

I really wish i didnt hate needles so much. Although i suppose i would rather have this than have an increased risk of cancer.

(Original post by alexa123)
    arrh im worried, i hate needles! Do they ask any questions or can everyone have it? I did get something through from the doctors with an appointment date.

I really wish i didnt hate needles so much. Although i suppose i would rather have this than have an increased risk of cancer.
    They ask if your well and if your pregnant. And if the answer is no to both those questions, you can have it

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the Gardasil/death thing: Yes, 20 or so women died following innoculation with Gardasil. However, there was NO evidence found that the fact they were vaccinated contributed to their deaths, and no causative mechanisms have been put forward. If you think about the millions of doses that have been administered and the standard probability of dying of some medical cause not immediately apparent, it's not surprising that some people died shortly after innoculation.

ReputationRep:
    Surely yes and no respectively, rather than no to both? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Who knows what caused the deaths, hope it wasn't the vaccine though because although millions of people are having it, it's still relatively knew and there have to be side effects that they don't yet know about.

Alexa123 - if you want the vaccine don't be worried about the actual injection. Some people have found it really painful but personally I didn't find the needle that bad - pain does differ from person to person though. Just remember that the actual pain of the needle only lasts around 10 seconds but it does sting a bit and ache afterwards. Really nothing to worry about though I'd advise not being on your own for about an hour afterwards though because I know the side effects/ reactions are rare but I wouldn't have liked to be on my own when my sight and hearing went They just ask if you're pregnant, on medication or have been ill in the past few weeks. I think that medication is usually only a problem if it weakens the immune system - but the nurse will know exactly so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    Who knows what caused the deaths, hope it wasn't the vaccine though because although millions of people are having it, it's still relatively knew and there have to be side effects that they don't yet know about.
    I'll tell you who knows what caused their deaths. The pathologists who conducted the post mortems. Their deaths were caused by other factors, with no link to the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Stupid NHS cheap ****** injections...if they really wanted to they could make one which didn't hurt so bloody much and make people ill afterwards :mad:
    What utter rubbish, while I know that the nash has gone for the cheap option and should be using Garadasil, you clearly haven't got a clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I'll tell you who knows what caused their deaths. The pathologists who conducted the post mortems. Their deaths were caused by other factors, with no link to the vaccine.
    From what I've heard the results were 'inconclusive' and they don't know what caused the deaths. You might be right but I haven't read anywhere that it has been proven the deaths were not linked to the vaccine. Either way it's tragic for the young girls to have died.

My doctor has now said it's a new vaccine so they cannot be sure of every side effect since it has only just been used in mass. I have to wait a few weeks and hope the effects subside.

ReputationRep:
    my friend said she felt really ill after it and her arm was really sore!... does it still work if you have had sex?

(Original post by blondy04)
    my friend said she felt really ill after it and her arm was really sore!... does it still work if you have had sex?
    Yes it does

ReputationRep:
    I had mine today, and I felt extremely faint and sick for about 20 minutes, and felt disorientated for a good few hours. I've still got a headache now, and my arm is killing me. I don't mind injections though, I had my flu jab today too and I was fine! Blargh.

It doesn't happen that often though, I was the first case of the day apparently.

ReputationRep:
    i have my first one today . ahh im usually fine with jabs lol but for some reason not today!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone experience a swelling at the injection site that turns quite firm over the first few days after the injection? mine is killing and had it done 3 days ago and its bright bright red all around it.

some get it, My friedns did tht ad it got infected, it was gone within a week and didn't happen for the next one

ReputationRep:
    I had this reaction to some injections I had last week, they weren't HPV but I guess this could just be a general reacton to injections? I've got another 8 vaccinations coming up in the next couple of weeks so I reeaally hope it's not like that for every one :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sofi-)
    I had this reaction to some injections I had last week, they weren't HPV but I guess this could just be a general reacton to injections? I've got another 8 vaccinations coming up in the next couple of weeks so I reeaally hope it's not like that for every one :s
    Which reactions did you get?
    I hope the rest of your jabs go well - good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.