Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently i'm reading this book which seems to be explaining things quite well.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a book like In Search Of Schrödinger's Cat, or QED by Richard Feynman,
    They're nicely written in layman's terms, but with some grit, so you do learn quite a bit =)
    I just got a book called 'Quantum' by Jim Al Khalili, it's a bit complex but has very pretty pictures, and goes into more modern physics too, like quantum computing. It's about fifteen quid in Waterstone's now.
    Good luck,
    Jess

ReputationRep:
    I've always been under the impression that Feynman is like the Lord Denning of Physics (though I've not read anything of his).

ReputationRep:
    The cat is both alive and dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    well I guess so ye, but im an atheist. Im scientifically interested more than anything... its the essence of the universe! I wish i was better at physics!
    well.. like you can't see God, in QT in order to preserve probability or causality.. there is the multiple worlds theory in Quantum Theory. So the this idea is for sure postulating on things beyond our universe, not heaven or hell, but maybe.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I think you need to be more judicious in your choice of terminology. Quantum physics may be counter-intuitive (which is part of what makes it so compelling), but to describe it as 'wrong' is ludicrous.
    I believe it to be wrong, as do many scientists. as I said, It says that a particle is both moving clockwise and anti-clockwise until someone watches it. This is clearly wrong. Don't get me wrong, it works. But it is wrong. It allows us to do incredibly hard experiments and equations, but a fully functioning 'right' theory must be observer-independent. that is it doesn't matter if your watching it or looking away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    I just Wikipedia'd him; yeah, he's about as famous for his lectures to the general public full of wit and funny little stories, as he is for his advancement in Physics, and everything he's worked on.
    Most people studying Physics will read at least some of his work, and people interested in it will find his public lectures quite interesting =)

EDIT: I got negged by someone? For why? :s
    Why are you called quantum theory when you know little about QM - qorse, you don't know who Richard Feynman is.

ReputationRep:
    The cat is a lie.

ReputationRep:
    EPR paradox is even more annoying that that damn cat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hancock orbital)
    Why are you called quantum theory when you know little about QM - qorse, you don't know who Richard Feynman is.
    In what respect?
    He was a great physicist, he worked on the Manhattan Project, found the path integral formula and drew the (debatable) first Feynman Diagrams.
    He was a great speaker, his lectures drew in huge crowds, such as 'There's Plenty Of Room At The Bottom', and also wrote awesome books like 'Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman?'
    The Feynamn letters, written with two other scientists is regarded as one of the core texts for an introduction to Modern Physics.

Care to disagree?

As to the name, I got bored of my last handle, and I had a dream about Time Dilation the night before. So, actually, maybe 'Special Relativity' would have been appropriate, meh.

ReputationRep:
    In what respect?
    He was a great physicist, he worked on the Manhattan Project, found the path integral formula and drew the (debatable) first Feynman Diagrams.
    He was a great speaker, his lectures drew in huge crowds, such as 'There's Plenty Of Room At The Bottom', and also wrote awesome books like 'Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman?'
    The Feynamn letters, written with two other scientists is regarded as one of the core texts for an introduction to Modern Physics.

Care to disagree?

As to the name, I got bored of my last handle, and I had a dream about Time Dilation the night before. So, actually, maybe 'Special Relativity' would have been appropriate, meh.
    Google use - (if only I hadn't used my positive rep for today).

I was just saying - did not mean to offend you - sorry if I did.

ReputationRep:
    Google use - (if only I hadn't used my positive rep for today).

I was just saying - did not mean to offend you - sorry if I did.
    Nope, not so much, I've just read most of those books, and happen to actually quite appreciate him as a person. I couldn't tell you when he died or when he won his Nobel prize though :/

What did you disagree with?
    Also, you have rep power, with 20 posts? :O

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not so much, I've just read most of those books, and happen to actually quite appreciate him as a person. I couldn't tell you when he died or when he won his Nobel prize though :/

What did you disagree with?
    It's just above you said that you had to wiki Feynman to get info on him - I assumed you did not know he was.

(Original post by teachercol)
    Ask Schrodinger's cat
    He's dead.. Or is he? :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Theres no simple answer. Its an explenation of how particles move and work. Its not really understood because its so random. for example a particle is spinning BOTH clockwise AND anti-clockwise, untill someone obsurves it (Schrodinger's cat). Then it chooses. Quantum physics is wrong. physisists know this. someone observing it should have no reflection on the result. Yet when you use Quantum mechanics to mathematically predict the outcome of an experiment, you find your calculations were correct.

Looks like u dont really know what ur talkin about.

ReputationRep:
    It's just above you said that you had to wiki Feynman to get info on him - I assumed you did not know he was.
    Hehe, I had to wiki Lord Denning, the guy I was quoting mentioned him.
    I think Feynman's awesome though.
    Here's the quote...
    '' I've always been under the impression that Feynman is like the Lord Denning of Physics (though I've not read anything of his).''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I've always been under the impression that Feynman is like the Lord Denning of Physics (though I've not read anything of his).
    This is a legendary video of Feynman :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTSaezB4p8

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, how is 'Schrodinger' phonetically pronounced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Its probably a ridiculous question, because its so complex - but what is the basic principle behind it?

Because Im really interested in Philosophy and religion, and quantum physics looks like it has implications for the life after death debate....

Im just not completely sure how to explain it.

:yep: Thanks for any attempts!

Theo

I read recently, "Quantum theory cannot hurt you" by Marcus Chown. It's a very good read, I highly recomment it. It explains everything in the simplest way possible, but unfortunately even this can be a little boggling at times. Some chapters I had to re-read, just to get my head round them.

ReputationRep:
    It is the science of that which is meant to be inexplicable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.