The Student Room Group

Why would any UK university choose British students over International students?

Do the universities benefit from British students in any way since international students contribute a higher fee? Is there enough incentive for UK universities? I'm talking particularly about courses that take in a handful of people

Scroll to see replies

There are multiple potential reasons.
Very high academic grades and enthusiasm for the course, famous or very well connected within the town/county/nation with the potential of bringing in significant alumni funding after graduation, local native english speaking students with very close ties to the region who live nearby/have lots of family members who do and will encourage their friends or relatives to apply in future years.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Very high academic grades and enthusiasm for the course, famous or very well connected within the town/county/nation with the potential of bringing in significant alumni funding after graduation, local native english speaking students with very close ties to the region who live nearby/have lots of family members who do and will encourage their friends or relatives to apply in future years.

These reasons over money? Hmm
Overseas students may prefer to be on a course with some British students to feel like a more authentic experience.
So glad the denizens of this site have finally found a way to merge their 2 favourite topics together. Uninformed *******s about university and race. Marvellous :h:
Original post by ROTL94 3
So glad the denizens of this site have finally found a way to merge their 2 favourite topics together. Uninformed *******s about university and race. Marvellous :h:

Lol you are right.
Original post by ROTL94 3

I suspect we're experiencing the latest half arsed pathetic attempt at "infiltration" from stormfront :indiff:
Original post by Eutony
Do the universities benefit from British students in any way since international students contribute a higher fee? Is there enough incentive for UK universities? I'm talking particularly about courses that take in a handful of people

Oxbridge only take in the best people for their courses, ie those who are most interested in the subject, do the most research, get the best admissions test results and perform the best at (very tricky) interviews. At least two interviewers are present at each interview to show no bias. Each applicant is then discussed by at least four people, if not more if they are sent to another college.

A successful candidate could be from the uk or it is equally possible they could be from overseas. If an overseas candidate could buy their way in, not only would there be a massive enquiry, but Oxbridge standards would drop. They cannot afford this risk to their reputation.

There are, however, free mentoring schemes for uk state school students who have good gcse results. The schemes do not guarantee a place, however they do provide information and support to bright working class students.

Not all of us can be bought!
Prospectus photos.
Reply 10
Original post by Oxford Mum
Oxbridge only take in the best people for their courses, ie those who are most interested in the subject, do the most research, get the best admissions test results and perform the best at (very tricky) interviews. At least two interviewers are present at each interview to show no bias. Each applicant is then discussed by at least four people, if not more if they are sent to another college.

A successful candidate could be from the uk or it is equally possible they could be from overseas. If an overseas candidate could buy their way in, not only would there be a massive enquiry, but Oxbridge standards would drop. They cannot afford this risk to their reputation.

There are, however, free mentoring schemes for uk state school students who have good gcse results. The schemes do not guarantee a place, however they do provide information and support to bright working class students.

Not all of us can be bought!

I would say that I doubt you believe what you are writing but your username literally includes "Oxford". There definitely is bias. Equally choose? Nope it simply is not possible to be equal when one offers you more than the other. Writing in your personal statement that you attend after school clubs and read books apparently deciding if they choose you or not is simply not the case. A great deal of bias exists. For example, if you are a British student, you are restricted by the fact that you will compete with more like yourself whereas an international student not only may pay more but also can simply be as they are from their country but stand out more seeing as they will compete with less like those from their upbringing. I would never entertain an offer from Oxford or Cambridge. They could certainly not pay me enough to visit the ridiculously outdated area.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Eutony
I would say that I doubt you believe what you are writing but your username literally includes "Oxford". There definitely is bias. Equally choose? Nope it simply is not possible to be equal when one offers you more than the other. Writing in your personal statement that you attend after school clubs and read books apparently deciding if they choose you or not is simply not the case. A great deal of bias exists. For example, if you are a British student, you are restricted by the fact that you will compete with more like yourself whereas an international student not only may pay more but also can simply be as they are from their country but stand out more seeing as they will compete with less like those from their upbringing. I would never entertain an offer from Oxford or Cambridge. They could certainly not pay me enough to visit the ridiculously outdated area.

Did you spend ten minutes of effort thinking that lot up, or was it as much as fifteen?

Now consider that hundreds of extremely bright people have spent literally man-years figuring out how to make their application process fair - it has basically nothing to do with writing about books and activities in your PS.

You might also want to look up the meaning of "sour grapes".
Reply 12
Original post by skylark2
Did you spend ten minutes of effort thinking that lot up, or was it as much as fifteen?

Now consider that hundreds of extremely bright people have spent literally man-years figuring out how to make their application process fair - it has basically nothing to do with writing about books and activities in your PS.

You might also want to look up the meaning of "sour grapes".

It is typical that a person who values something very much assumes any attack towards that thing is of course because the attack has come about due to jealousy. That certainly is not the case.
Original post by Eutony

I barely know how to begin commenting on this rude, ignorant post. I have gone into a lot of detail about what it takes. Indeed I have written a book called Oxford Demystified about it. How are you aware there there is definitely bias? Where is your proof? No, I guess not.

Having put both of my children through Oxford and advised hundreds of others, I think I know what I am talking about. In fact my younger son went on a night out with his tutors ( medicine) and one of them actually told him how he and the other tutors chose him!! If you have more insider knowledge, do tell (thought not)
You are correct when you say that when a uk student applies to Oxford, they are competing against the rest of the world, which is why it’s so amazing when they do get in. What do international students offer that uk students can’t? I am sorry but I don’t understand your English, or your reasoning. Money has absolutely nothing to do with selection but you will never believe me.

It’s okay if you would turn down an offer from Oxbridge. They can well do without you and they will keep on churning out prime ministers, entrepreneurs and outstanding Nobel prize winning scientists and humanitarians without your assistance.
Original post by Eutony

Darn it, repped this by accident!
Original post by Eutony
It is typical that a person who values something very much assumes any attack towards that thing is of course because the attack has come about due to jealousy. That certainly is not the case.

You are admitting this is an attack on Oxford yet are doing it from a platform of ignorance and spite, whether or not you are envious.
Original post by londonmyst

You don’t have to be famous, wealthy or well connected to get a place (isn’t this more an American thing?)

I can recall reading that an interviewer rejected one of his colleagues’ daughters. She simply wasn’t as clever as the other applicants, therefore she did not get a place.

I also read that Saddam Hussein wanted one of his sons to go to Oxford however he was rejected because he simply wasn’t bright enough either. For a man who is used to getting his own way in his own country, this must have stung.

As for potential donations, yes the money will come in, but from the alumni themselves. My son took part in a telethon ( calling alumni for donations to his college). Many consider their Oxford education vital to their success and are grateful. One investment banker donated his £1 million bonus. The famous author, Philip Pullman ( another alumnus) visited Oxford when he heard about the telethon. He took all the volunteers out to the Bank restaurant for afternoon tea as a treat.

Any attempt by a parent or relative to bribe professors for a place would be quashed immediately.
Original post by Eutony

Universities, unlike you, see the bigger picture.

They are institutions with a public role in the UK. They have charitable status. They receive huge amounts of money from Government and public bodies. There is a government backed loan scheme to pay their fees. They have special treatment in the immigration system. They tend to be looked on favourably by the planning system. Eminent people in public life are willing to take on honorary roles with them and to promote them. And they provide higher education to British youth.

Universities know that if they break that social contract with the public by chasing foreign student fees to the exclusion of everything else, Government, with public support, will intervene.

That social contract has been broken in the past and the then existing universities have been radically reformed against their wishes. The Victorians shook up how universities were run so that academic posts became teaching posts and non-Anglican students were admitted. The two Aberdeen universities were forced into a shotgun marriage. More often, universities have managed to react at the last moment. They got on board with scientific research at the turn of the 20th century and headed off the possibility of Government run-research institutes separate from the universities. They all just about managed to grasp the social changes of the 1960s by the early 1970s. All bar a very few managed to embrace co-education just at the moment when not to do so was becoming untenable.
We're perhaps overlooking that the students themselves like to be part of a diverse cohort.

Honestly we could make a ridiculous amount of money just offering places to high academic achievers from China. But then that doesn't result in a great experience for them, especially when they fly half way around the world and pay a premium for their fees, only to find out that two thirds of their cohort come from the same province.

So unis put a lot of effort into making sure that classes are as diverse as possible, whilst remaining fair when considering overseas qualifications and their equivalencies.

So it's a bit more than, "overseas students pay more, so stuff the course with them and hope for the best".

Edit: Should make it clear that I am talking more about postgrad study here, (which is a bit more wild west in terms of what unis can do), as undergrad funding is more complicated than just looking at the headline tuition fee rates for Home and Overseas.
(edited 1 year ago)

Just quoting this again

UK universities can't sponsor visa for international students if they don't have fair admission for UK students.

Any UK university that wanted to turn their back on admitting UK students would likely also lose their university status :flute: (at the moment and subject to whatever batshit scheme the government come up with next)

Quick Reply