Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've was given an offer to study Criminology at Durham University this wednesday. I applied for Josephine Butler College without any research and purely on the advice of a friend who said it was the only self-catered college. However, a day after i received my offer i flicked through the Durham prospectus and realized i had made a mistake on my choice of college.
    After Lots of research i have found St Cuthberts to be a better choice, due to the fact i have the option of being catered, closer to my dept (Applied Social Sciences) and stronger on tradition and many more advantages.
    I desperately want to change colleges. I have tried calling the Admissions Office today but no one picks up. Any ideas on what to do? Is Changing colleges possible? Also, i've received no letters in the post from durham.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

[REP AVAILABLE]

ReputationRep:
    Phone Butler and ask?

ReputationRep:
    I think Criminology is probably based on the science site, so both colleges would be about the same distance from it.

Anyway, yeah, you should probably call up Butler.

ReputationRep:
    Criminology is based in Elvet Riverside for lectures and Old Elvet for seminars.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, i'm in the same boat, although my app hasn't been received by a college.

I've emailed the admissions tutor, so maybe they can help. Would phoning be better?

Woohoo, thanks to Kathryn from admissions, i'm good to go with Van Mildert

ReputationRep:
    ^ Phoning is better because it's harder for them to ignore you.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Criminology is based in Elvet Riverside for lectures and Old Elvet for seminars.
    Huh. Well, I stand corrected.

ReputationRep:
    I've called the admissions office 5 times and no one has picked up. So, i'll email them now and try calling tomorrow. Sound like a plan?

ReputationRep:
    What number are you calling? Try Helen/ Jean
    H Marshall Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Assistant (Wed pm-Fri) [email protected] phone:46128

J Mayhew Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Assistant (Mon-Wed am) [email protected] phone:46128
    or Carol

C McGinn Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Supervisor [email protected] phone:46102

If you are set on Cuths I would also call them and see if they have space for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    What number are you calling? Try Helen/ Jean
    H Marshall Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Assistant (Wed pm-Fri) [email protected] phone:46128

J Mayhew Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Assistant (Mon-Wed am) [email protected] phone:46128
    or Carol

C McGinn Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Supervisor [email protected] phone:46102

If you are set on Cuths I would also call them and see if they have space for you.
    Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I've been calling the UG Admissions office but may try the numbers you've stated. I've just sent an email to Anne Forster, head of UG admissions and i'll call on Monday.
    REP.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, I would'nt email Ann (well you have but you know what i mean)- she is like the big boss doing all the strategy and stuff. The three ladies above are the best to sort out problems like this. actually I might try and add this to the FAQ

also

R Brass Mrs Academic Office UG Admissions Assistant [email protected] phone:46137

You need to put 0191 33 in front of all the extensions but I guess you already know that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm going to have to call in on Monday, i don't expect any dept to be open on the weekend. I sent an email yesterday and received an automated message stating i'll receive a reply within 5-10 days. I just hope there is a place for me at St Cuths.

ReputationRep:
    I just phoned St Cuths and someone picked up, advised me to call on Monday and said it would usually be fine to transfer if there is a place for me. That eases my tension for the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Before you do anything, I would call St. Cuths on Monday and ask them if they have space for you. Each college has a quota on how many students they can accept per course so you need to make sure they have room for you. I think they'll also guide you further on how to proceed.

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool, fortunatly it is early enough in the process now that transfering isn't too much of an issue. If you don't get an offer until January thenit can be very hard to find somewhere with space!

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool, fortunatly it is early enough in the process now that transfering isn't too much of an issue. If you don't get an offer until January thenit can be very hard to find somewhere with space!
    Thanks for that. Thats why i've been trying to madly get in contact with them. I got my offer on Wednesday so its a pretty early offer. I hope they have space for me, i just wish i had researched better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah research is the key,Well either research or really not caring where you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah research is the key,Well either research or really not caring where you end up.
    Yeah it is key. I didn't really mind because i new nothing of the other colleges, but when reading up on other colleges i came across the perfect college.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Just phoned St Cuths who said they couldn't do anything until they had something in writing from me.
    So.. I phoned one of the UG Admissions assistants and they put me through to Josephine Butler, who said they would send the email i sent to their senior tutor who would allow me to be released or not. Then she would email me with the outcome, allowing me to phone St Cuths to ask for a place.
    Its a long story, but at least the situation has progressed.
    Many thanks to you all but especially Lychee for the number. :P

ReputationRep:
    well it looks like progress has been made! Generally they are ok about releasing you as they dont really want people who dont want to be there.

Good luck and keep us updated

ReputationRep:
    Changed colleges!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.