Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think its so unfair that some people in the same year can be 18 and go out drinking while others have to stay in.

My birthday is late in the year yet i look a lot older than some of the people who are 18 and its annoying that people who never go out can be 18 and not take advantage of it! I think that they should make it so as soon as one person is 18 in a year everyone should be allowed out

What are your thoughts on this? does it bug anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    your time will come

ReputationRep:
    blame your parents for not having sex at the right time to assure that when you're 18, all you're friends will be 18 too

its all theit fault
    wah wah wah

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I've had to pass on a load of 18ths and 21sts because they involve going to clubs. It's ridiculous, but unfortunately the result of our irresponsible society.

ReputationRep:
    these things happen.

I'm the youngest of my friends, they all turned 18 and could go to pubs and clubs - i couldnt go with them and was/am 5ft tall and dont look my age.

You'll turn 18 eventually.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, im not 18 until july, but hey, atleast i know the ALL of my friends will be able to come out with me on my birthday :p: i've got too much work to do to go out anyway, sad but true

anyway, everyone will want to be you when they're 30 and you're 29 :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Zeus)
    I think its so unfair that some people in the same year can be 18 and go out drinking while others have to stay in.

My birthday is late in the year yet i look a lot older than some of the people who are 18 and its annoying that people who never go out can be 18 and not take advantage of it! I think that they should make it so as soon as one person is 18 in a year everyone should be allowed out

What are your thoughts on this? does it bug anyone else?
    umm, how would that work? In that case, you may as well lower the drinking age of 17, and the the 16 year olds will complain. What about people who aren't in education?

ReputationRep:
    I am one of the youngest in my year and won't be 18 til next summer, but it doesn't bother me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Quit complaining, we've all been there.

ReputationRep:
    get a fake id if your that bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango24)

anyway, everyone will wan't to be you when ....
    :yep:
    Wow, where did that aprostrophe come from??

18 is the same amount of seconds, minutes, hours, days alive regardless. You'll be 18 when you've been on the planet as long as someone else who is 18.

But I agree, it's a bit of a fault. On the 25th April i'm not going to be much different than the 26th April, so what suddenly makes me allowed to drink and vote after the stroke of midnight? If I was supposed to have some sort of vision or experience i'm stillw aiting 5 years on...

ReputationRep:
    ive been able to get intp clubs since i was 15
    im 19 now

sucks to be you

ReputationRep:
    In Japan, I think, they base the age of majority on the year in which you are that age. So on 1st January you can do whatever, even if your birthday is on 31st December.

So you just need to move there.

ReputationRep:
    It bugs me, 'cause I look about 12, I am however, 18 in December =] Thank god. I've only ever been out round town about twice, purely because I look so young and it's like a 99% chance I'll get ID'd. So I do understand what you mean, as practically all of my friends look older than me and have been able to go out for years now, but oh well, life's life. I don't drink that much anyway, so I'm not really that fussed.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just to clarify, you're complaining that you're not going to be eighteen soon enough? And your solution to this is to just allow everyone who will be eighteen in that year to just go out as soon as one person has turned eighteen?

Good plan.
    [/sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not exactly unfair now is it? If it's anyone's fault it's your parents for being lazy exactly 18 years ago today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    In Japan, I think, they base the age of majority on the year in which you are that age. So on 1st January you can do whatever, even if your birthday is on 31st December.

So you just need to move there.
    Then people born in January will complain that people born in December have been able to go to clubs for year longer!

ReputationRep:
    I here ya mate..I'm the baby of my friendship group and I can't do certain things but when I do turn 18 (in august..ah so long...) everyone is going to be happy because even my friends are anticipating me turning 18.. :P

ReputationRep:
    Erm.

You'll probably live until you are 80, assuming something nasty doesn't get you before then. What're a few months between friends?

Have some patience.

ReputationRep:
    life's unfair. what do you expect?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.