Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 18 on on 5th nov... and I hate it I feel old and that life is passing to quickly. Before hand I did go out from the age of 16, I'm not a big drinker so it did not appeal to me that much. Enjoy your age.

ReputationRep:
    Life isn't fair. Wait for your turn.

ReputationRep:
    You can still do the same things people who are 18 can do, just not legally. Purchasing a fake ID and looking old can be extremely useful

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does get pretty annoying, but your solution would probably lead to a few problems, namely that thousands of 18 year olds would descend on pubs/clubs at the start of every school year :p:

ReputationRep:
    Being 18, i can tell you it really isn't that different. Loads of my mates are like
    "hey lets go Manchester/Liverpool and get wasted" and tbh its ****.
    I much prefer to sit in a nice pub with a pint and chill with mates. Most pubs have an accountability tolerance. This means they will serve my underage mates but if there is any trouble i get barred. Its works well.

People who crave to be 18 are quite immature generally and just wish to get pissed all the time. Its stupid, drinking is a waste of cash and going out generally end in trouble .

Don't wish your life away.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys.)
    Then people born in January will complain that people born in December have been able to go to clubs for year longer!
    Exactly, I am born 14th Jan, so it would seriously suck for that to apply.

Op, don't worry you are not missing much, I went out a few times at 17 and the novelty wore off by 18. :p:

ReputationRep:
    "I want to join the binge-drinking culture as soon as I can with legal sanction and so I think that it is unfair that I have to wait the whole 18 years that everybody else had to. Please have sympathy for me."

That's pretty much what your post says. Congratulations, you look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Zeus)
    I think its so unfair that some people in the same year can be 18 and go out drinking while others have to stay in.

My birthday is late in the year yet i look a lot older than some of the people who are 18 and its annoying that people who never go out can be 18 and not take advantage of it! I think that they should make it so as soon as one person is 18 in a year everyone should be allowed out

What are your thoughts on this? does it bug anyone else?
    Grow up, would be my suggestion. If you can't take a fact of life like this on the chin, you're really not mature enough to be going out drinking.

ReputationRep:
    I turned eighteen in August, and all my friends were going out, but I never really drunk out, unless it was cider with a meal.
    Then when I turned 18, I never got ID'd anywhere.
    And I'm like 5"2, it's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Borrow ID. That's what i do, and have done for ages, it's not exactly hard. It's even easier now that a lot of your mates will be 18 - bouncers hardly even look at the picture tbh.

My birthday is the 30th August, hardly anyone is worse that that (31st :p:).

Ok it might be a little annoying to not be able to go out, just because you can't get into places. Loads of birthdays happen, and lots of people in my year can't get ID. But whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.T)
    ive been able to get intp clubs since i was 15
    im 19 now

sucks to be you
    Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    In the current economic climate, with knife crime at an epidemic and unemployment at its highest figure for years, you should count yourself very lucky that your biggest worry is not being able to get into a club

ReputationRep:
    I'm the youngest of my friends. My birthdays 31st August so a day later and I'd be in the year below. Two of my best friends are the 10th & 11th of September so I had to wait pretty much a year to turn 18 after them. There are ways around it though...

ReputationRep:
    It's just the way the cookie crumbles tbqphgjhrdjmsh

ReputationRep:
    I was born in August, so I've got a long way to go till I'm 18 but who cares? I'm not disadvantaged, and I could go back an academic year to be the oldest. But I'd rather be here and youngest. I'm kool with it.

ReputationRep:
    well...i have it worse...i sorta skipped a year...so i wont be 18 when i go to uni when everyone else will be!! just be happy youll be 18 when you go to uni

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its really annoying isn't it, i'm not 18 until June.

There is one place where we used to go a lot (as all of us were underage), but its a bit of a dive - but a laugh to go there. I've been since I was in my GCSE year (15).

But all the good places (other places in my town) is about 50/50 whether you'll get a drink, its not too bad. Its weird, some days you get served some days you don't, even if its the same person serving you. Fake ID hardly works anymore after a recent crackdown.

As more of us are 18 its easier, just get them to buy drinks

However answering the original post / title - it is not 'unfair', its just the way it goes. I personally think that if the age is lowered there will be less of a binge drinking culture. I didn't see anybody in Berlin getting "Steeeeeeeamo" and acting anti-socially when I went there a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 18 till next August, most people I know were 18 last month. Boo hoo. Just make sure you go somewhere a bit dodgy that doesn't ID people.. aka, my local pub. Which isn't very dodgy at all.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get into some bars at 16.
    It is possible.

ReputationRep:
    It didnt really bother me because when I was 18 this country was not quite as ID-crazy as it is now, and most of our group could get served by the time they were 17 going on 18 anyway- it was only the particularly short/young-looking-for their-age ones that had to wait until their actual 18th birthday to have official ID

it's really got a lot tighter just in the last 5 years I swear...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.