Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is that unfair? They're still older than you whether you're in the same year or not. Believe it of not everything doesn't revolve around what school year you're in.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining? Everyone will be able to come to your 18th.
    On my 18th, I was in year 12 (retaking the year), none of my friends in upper sixth were free (I had the afternoon off, they didn't), and my friends in lower sixth weren't old enough to come out.

Quit moaning, your time will come. Patience is a virtue.

ReputationRep:
    I was one of the youngest in my year - most of my friends were 18 at least 6 months before me, so I couldn't go out to clubs with them. This meant that we tended to stick to local pub gardens where they weren't bothered about serving us!

ReputationRep:
    I think people are being a bit harsh here. I am 18 now and only just turned 18 in August. All of my friends used to go out on a Friday night (there is nowhere round here that doesn't ID) and I couldn't which really sucked. Also I can't say "oh its not that great" because I love Fridays out and I'm really looking forward to tonight. My main problem when i was 17 and everyone else was 18 was not that I couldn't drink, just that I couldn't go out with friends and have even a coke.
    All the same although it feels unfair and is really annoying, it's not going to change, which is when things are most annoying. Just make sure you're still seeing your friends, as when people only just start turning 18 I found that the novelty means every meet up is to go out to a pub/ club which means you get left out even more.
    Anyway just focus on school for the moment, get awesome grades, then party on results day (if you're old enough...I wasn't :P)

ReputationRep:
    The timing of your birthday might be annoying but I wouldn't really say it's unfair. It may work out well because at least when do you do turn 18, everyone will be able to go out with you. my friend actually didn't like being the first to be 18 as none of our group was 18/had ID to go out and celebrate with her!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and i'm like the youngest person at college most of my mates are 18 so I think it's a bit worse for me but I don't mind, just have to get over it and move on. I'm 17 on the 16th of June.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't something anyone can help and to be honest you aren't really missing out on much. If you are so annoyed by it, sneak in with a fake ID like everyone else and ruin it for yourself early. After you are 18 your focus will change to something else. Clubbing isn't all that great, sure it is fun but really it is just like a school disco with a dark room, strangers and drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Zeus)
    I think its so unfair that some people in the same year can be 18 and go out drinking while others have to stay in.

My birthday is late in the year yet i look a lot older than some of the people who are 18 and its annoying that people who never go out can be 18 and not take advantage of it! I think that they should make it so as soon as one person is 18 in a year everyone should be allowed out

What are your thoughts on this? does it bug anyone else?
    Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    i'm at first year of uni and i am not 18 yet - you learn to live with it and it's not too bad tbh because it just means im not tempted to go out every night of the week when i know i really dont have the time

ReputationRep:
    There's got to be a cut off point at some point.
    Just wait your turn.

ReputationRep:
    i had the same problem. but think about it. those born in september cant have many people to celebrate their birthday in clubs because chances are their friends will be mostly 17. but when you are 18, most of your friends will be 18 too.

ReputationRep:
    why does it matter? let people do what they want. if some people choose not to then thats their choice.
    most people get served under 18 thses days anyway.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.