The Student Room Group

How to stand out as a med school applicant?

Hey,

I'm currently in year 12 and want to strengthen my med school application.

I understand that a lot of things tie in, such as GCSE results, Predicted Grades, interview, personal statement, work experience and volunteering and admissions exams.

My GCSE's are 999888775 in RS, literature, language, biology, chemistry, maths, physics, German and Further Maths with A* in EPQ.

I wanted to ask what I should do over this year to become the best applicant possible, and how I should prepare for the admissions tests and how to find work experience.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's not about "standing out", it's about ticking boxes and strategically applying.

They don't care what subjects your GCSEs are in, just your grades/grade profile. Your profile may be suitable for some and not for others.

Your A-level subjects may be a consideration if you aren't doing both biology and chemistry - it's recommended to do both as that gives you all but one medical school as realistic options. You can read more about A-level subject requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

After that doing well in the UCAT (and/or BMAT, if you apply to BMAT unis) will be one of the most important factors.

Work experience is matter of the quality of your reflection on it, not the quantity you've done or exactly what you did per se. You could volunteer in a nursing home and have very thoughtful reflections that give you a much better insight into the profession, than someone who spend 2 years shadowing consultant neurosurgeons in theatre or something. You need work experience, but the emphasis is less on the "what" outside of some basic guidelines set out by medical schools, and more on how you reflect on that experience. There is more info about work experience here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6929328

If you've just started 6th form though then it's realistically too early to be doing anything about preparing for the UCAT or BMAT, or work experience. This kind of stuff normally starts up more in spring of year 12, continuing over the summer. For now just focus on doing as well as you can in your studies to give yourself the appropriate foundational knowledge you need, and to ensure you will be able to get good predicted grades later.
Original post by Joe6753
Hey,

I'm currently in year 12 and want to strengthen my med school application.

I understand that a lot of things tie in, such as GCSE results, Predicted Grades, interview, personal statement, work experience and volunteering and admissions exams.

My GCSE's are 999888775 in RS, literature, language, biology, chemistry, maths, physics, German and Further Maths with A* in EPQ.

I wanted to ask what I should do over this year to become the best applicant possible, and how I should prepare for the admissions tests and how to find work experience.

I seem to remember Ecolier saying the one thing you don't want to do is 'stand out'. Usually when someone 'stands out', it's all for the wrong reasons.

As usual, @artful_lounger has given you some excellent advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest