Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a filter interview booked for Friday and they will no doubt ask about what happens at OASC. I know that this changes fairly frequently, so for anyone who can answer this, is the procedure as follows or is there anything new or any changes? :

Day 1 :

- Introduction

Day 2 :

- Aptitude Tests
    - Fitness Tests
    -Bleep Test (level 9.10)
    -Pressups (20)
    -Sit-ups (35)

Day 3 :

- Interview
    - Group Discussion
    - Leaderless Exercise
    - Group Planning Exercise

Day 4 :

- Individual Planning Exercise
    - Command Situation Exercise
    - Final Interview

Is this what happens, or has anything changed. I heard something about there being a fitness test on a separate occasion including swimming. Is this correct?

Many thanks

Burf
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Suggest you have a search and read the stickies. Most stuff is there.

ReputationRep:
    had a feeling you'd say that,

ok will do,

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burf87)
    had a feeling you'd say that,

ok will do,

cheers
    Well, it does make sense. Always search first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Sun)
    I've posted this on a few of the OASC threads so i'll post it here as well, I kept a journal of my time down on OASC, you may find it usefull.

Hope it helps.
    You need to re-save and repost as a .doc not DOC.X as the user has said they can't open it due to older version of word.

ReputationRep:
    burf87 - you're way off the mark with that timetable. The correct one has been posted quite a few times recently so you should be able to find it. If you can't, or want to verify that it's the right one, post in here again and someone will be able to tell you, although I wouldn't worry too much about knowing it all for the filter. Just being aware of what the tests are will be more than enough, let alone on which days they occur.

ReputationRep:
    Here you go, Burf87, quick search gave the results you're after:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...t#post11930270

I can confirm this was the score when I did mine back in October!

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need to know the full timetable exactly right? Surely an overview of what's involved will suffice as it seems to be changing all the time.

Or am I wide of the mark considering everything down to what the CAS has for breakfast seems to be available somewhere on the internet

ReputationRep:
    Half of the fun is the surprise!

ReputationRep:
    I firmly believe that if you know too much about it before you go then you'll potentially not be yourself as you've spent too much time thinking about how you're going to act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    I firmly believe that if you know too much about it before you go then you'll potentially not be yourself as you've spent too much time thinking about how you're going to act.
    I agree, I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I went down there and I passed somehow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    I agree, I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I went down there and I passed somehow!
    I'm envious! Which branch?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest they give all the candidates a programme of events when you get down there anyway.

My best advice would be:

Prepare well, read lots on the subject especially about your chosen branch, RAF history, current affairs both national and international.

Work on your fitness, they don't want to see a bloater who cant run a bleep test and do a few press ups and sit ups. (not that i'm implying you are unfit of course just illustrating a point)

Get as much leadership/management/responsibility type activities under your belt before you go down there, it really helps if you have been in charge when in group tasks and you are the leader.

Don't worry too much about how OASC runs. It passes so quickly. If you read around this site you will find lots and lots and lots of advice on OASC, just read between the lines.

I kept a journal of my time down at OASC, if you can find it feel free to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairemitch88)
    I'm envious! Which branch?
    Pilot! I woudn't be too envious though, I was a nervous wreck for about four weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Sun)
    To be honest they give all the candidates a programme of events when you get down there anyway.

My best advice would be:

Prepare well, read lots on the subject especially about your chosen branch, RAF history, current affairs both national and international.

Work on your fitness, they don't want to see a bloater who cant run a bleep test and do a few press ups and sit ups. (not that i'm implying you are unfit of course just illustrating a point)

Get as much leadership/management/responsibility type activities under your belt before you go down there, it really helps if you have been in charge when in group tasks and you are the leader.

Don't worry too much about how OASC runs. It passes so quickly. If you read around this site you will find lots and lots and lots of advice on OASC, just read between the lines.

I kept a journal of my time down at OASC, if you can find it feel free to read it.
    Thank you! Yes I read your Journal. Very interesting & a great help for you to spend the time posting it on here. Made me a little nervous with anticipation though, wondering how next week will pan out for me now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    Pilot! I woudn't be too envious though, I was a nervous wreck for about four weeks!
    ok...now I'm really envious! Pilot, well done!

ReputationRep:
    Clairemitch88 - Try not to worry about it, I honestly thought I was going to fail before I went down there, but once I was there I properly, properly wanted to pass. Just take away as much of the good advice you can from here, Dark Sun's journal is a very accurate (IMO) view of what OASC is like...except I got really drunk in the bar...every night. Not necessarily a good plan, but it kept me relaxed at least.

All the best for it! Really hope it goes well for you, let us know how it goes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.