The Student Room Group

Running

So had to do PE in my barefeet this week but found I can run faster as my times were down. Is this because I am lighter in barefeet or possibly better grip on the floor.?
Some people prefer to run without shoes - notable example Zola Budd, so maybe you like to go au naturale.

In theory, without the extra propulsion given by trainers, it should be slower - and the weight of the shoes wouldn't make a huge difference unless, say, you were an athlete.

Maybe your trainers are hindering you. Do they fit??

Or you were just having a really good day for running
Reply 2
It was the first times this week I had done PE barefoot and my PE shoes I normally wear are okay so still not sure.
Quite common for people to run more naturally and hence faster barefoot or in minimalist footwear
Reply 4
I did think that as I did alot better than usual. I never normally go barefoot for PE but my friends say I should from now on.
Original post by Myleene16
So had to do PE in my barefeet this week but found I can run faster as my times were down. Is this because I am lighter in barefeet or possibly better grip on the floor.?

We humans r nature so I wouldn't be surprised walking aeround bare foot is all so spritually good for u as well as it improves blood flow.
Reply 6
Original post by Myleene16
I did think that as I did alot better than usual. I never normally go barefoot for PE but my friends say I should from now on.

I suppose the lighter the footwear the faster we should move though alot if running shoes are similar in weight. If it is helping your times for running at PE then you need to do PE in barefeet from now on and the grip on the floor may help in barefeet as well. That is if you prefer going barefooted?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by amy5705
I suppose the lighter the footwear the faster we should move though alot if running shoes are similar in weight. If it is helping your times for running at PE then you need to do PE in barefeet from now on and the grip on the floor may help in barefeet as well. That is if you prefer going barefooted?

Yes I reckon I definitely got better grip on the floor in barefeet. Don't normally go barefeet but had wrong footwear so teacher not happy and had me do PE barefoot so will need to carry on barefooted.
You need to be careful of the risk of injuries if running without the support of trainers, both puncture wounds and more long-term stress from the extra impact.

Shin splits are not fun at all.
Reply 9
Thankfully it is only PE inside. I have to go barefooted now as took my trainers for PE instead of the plimsoles that we should wear. We don't run every week, sometimes it is dodgeball, badminton or circuits.
I don't really know me being the only one barefoot but I broke the rules.

Quick Reply

Latest