The Student Room Group

is this an effective study routine for a level chemistry?

read the textbook/watch vids if necessary -> make digital flash cards/active recall questions on the content mentioned in the specification only -> questions/exam practice. i'll repeat this cycle for every topic.

i should also mention that i'm self-teaching which is why i didn't include lesson.

thoughts?
Reply 1
Thanks for the information.
Reply 2
Original post by quickquestion805
read the textbook/watch vids if necessary -> make digital flash cards/active recall questions on the content mentioned in the specification only -> questions/exam practice. i'll repeat this cycle for every topic.

i should also mention that i'm self-teaching which is why i didn't include lesson.

thoughts?

what is your exam board? I'm doing OCR
You'll probably end up needing to adapt your flash cards as you encounter exam questions too, so those two steps should overlap a bit. Chances are you'll make a flash card including what you think is important, then do a past paper and find that the mark scheme requires you to say one very specific word that you didn't think was vital, so it helps to be constantly improving your revision resources as you go. Otherwise yes, summarising and active recall/exam practice are usually quite effective :smile:

The other thing I would say is to be careful about only revising a topic at a time, since questions quite often use a few topics and part of the challenge is identifying which ones you need. Once you've learnt a few, start mixing the questions up for several topics to get used to that.

thoughts?

Heya!
I would also recommend making spider diagrams - really helped me, especially with chemistry (espc with organic chemistry). Do you have a resource where you can get past papers by topic for chem? Study Mind offers free a-level chem resources (past papers, revision notes etc) by topic so that you can develop your understanding of them one at a time (+ study mind also does have a youtube channel you can check out!). I would recommend doing past papers by topics first until you feel confident with them. When you cover enough topics, you could move on to giving yourself a mock with past papers by year :h: Time yourself and do the past paper as if it was an exam.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thoughts?

Good luck for teaching yourself A level chemistry! I'm teaching myself A level maths this year. I did Chemistry for A level, and I found it a really fun subject, though you're definitely going to put in the time and make sure you do lots of practice questions if you want a good grade.

For chemistry, I would recommend flashcards after question/exam practice with notes from the questions, since there are a lot of questions in chemistry that have a similar style, and if you learn the style of question it'll become much easier to answer them all.
Physicsandmathstutor.com has a lot of chemistry resources on it, as well as a complete collection of chemistry papers. Studymind is also useful, though both sites contain a lot of overlap in the questions they have since there's only so many questions that they can ask.
When you come across a question you don't understand in a paper, I'd recommend seeing whether there's a youtube video of someone explaining how they did in the paper, so that you can learn from them showing you how to approach the question.
Original post by Interea
You'll probably end up needing to adapt your flash cards as you encounter exam questions too, so those two steps should overlap a bit. Chances are you'll make a flash card including what you think is important, then do a past paper and find that the mark scheme requires you to say one very specific word that you didn't think was vital, so it helps to be constantly improving your revision resources as you go. Otherwise yes, summarising and active recall/exam practice are usually quite effective :smile:

The other thing I would say is to be careful about only revising a topic at a time, since questions quite often use a few topics and part of the challenge is identifying which ones you need. Once you've learnt a few, start mixing the questions up for several topics to get used to that.

Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would also recommend making spider diagrams - really helped me, especially with chemistry (espc with organic chemistry). Do you have a resource where you can get past papers by topic for chem? Study Mind offers free a-level chem resources (past papers, revision notes etc) by topic so that you can develop your understanding of them one at a time (+ study mind also does have a youtube channel you can check out!). I would recommend doing past papers by topics first until you feel confident with them. When you cover enough topics, you could move on to giving yourself a mock with past papers by year :h: Time yourself and do the past paper as if it was an exam.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Original post by the fennian
Good luck for teaching yourself A level chemistry! I'm teaching myself A level maths this year. I did Chemistry for A level, and I found it a really fun subject, though you're definitely going to put in the time and make sure you do lots of practice questions if you want a good grade.

For chemistry, I would recommend flashcards after question/exam practice with notes from the questions, since there are a lot of questions in chemistry that have a similar style, and if you learn the style of question it'll become much easier to answer them all.
Physicsandmathstutor.com has a lot of chemistry resources on it, as well as a complete collection of chemistry papers. Studymind is also useful, though both sites contain a lot of overlap in the questions they have since there's only so many questions that they can ask.
When you come across a question you don't understand in a paper, I'd recommend seeing whether there's a youtube video of someone explaining how they did in the paper, so that you can learn from them showing you how to approach the question.

Thank you so much for the advice - I'll be sure to take it all on board.
Original post by Sakuna
what is your exam board? I'm doing OCR

Nice, I'm doing AQA.
Reply 8
Nice, I'm doing AQA.

If you're looking forward to making notes and revise, I would recommend a youtube channel: "Allery Chemistry". Best way to make notes and clear your concepts if you have any difficulties.
Original post by Sakuna
If you're looking forward to making notes and revise, I would recommend a youtube channel: "Allery Chemistry". Best way to make notes and clear your concepts if you have any difficulties.

Awesome, I'll check him out. Thanks a lot :smile:

thoughts?

This is a besy way to study or get good marks.

Quick Reply

Latest