The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Frances
If I was thinking of working for an organisation such as one of these, does anyone have any info on what kinds of jobs they offer, what the pay's like, how competative, what kind of work experience would be useful (and how to get it!), stuff like that?

I'm doing a politics degree at the moment btw

These would be a useful place to start:

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/

Have a search on google, there's tons of stuff :smile:
Reply 2
Lol i have worked for Oxfam - pay usually no as its voluntary !!!

The few paid vacancies are in the head office in Oxford or as a shop manager in one of their shops. Dunno how to get those ones but usually takes ages - best thing is to volunteer and work your way up.

U looking at it as a career or just a short term thing?
Reply 3
BigDog04
Lol i have worked for Oxfam - pay usually no as its voluntary !!!

The few paid vacancies are in the head office in Oxford or as a shop manager in one of their shops. Dunno how to get those ones but usually takes ages - best thing is to volunteer and work your way up.

U looking at it as a career or just a short term thing?

I don't think Frances meant volunteering in a shop. Big charities employ quite a lot of people to actually run the charity.
Reply 4
Lord Huntroyde
I don't think Frances meant volunteering in a shop. Big charities employ quite a lot of people to actually run the charity.

yeah, pretty much. thanks :smile:

I know that they advertise jobs on their websites, but they don't have a great deal of information and general careers in that area. And I tried google as well, didn't come up with a great deal.
This year Oxfam have 16 vacancies available for graduates mainly in the marketing/campaigning divisions at their headquarters which are responsible for encouraging fundraising, campaigning and raising awareness. However these positions are all unpaid, I assume at the end of the placement paid positions may be available?
Reply 6
Frances
If I was thinking of working for an organisation such as one of these, does anyone have any info on what kinds of jobs they offer, what the pay's like, how competative, what kind of work experience would be useful (and how to get it!), stuff like that?

I'm doing a politics degree at the moment btw

you'll need experience working with a charity or volunteering, thats where the wonderful nottingham SCA come in. amnesty are near impossible to get experience with unless you are on the board of one of the student commities (bah spelling), you really are best say working in an oxfam shop to start and moving up

-nottingham red cross need office volunteers if you are interested, should be handy for experience and stuff, gonna start there tuesday woo
Reply 7
rah2
you'll need experience working with a charity or volunteering, thats where the wonderful nottingham SCA come in. amnesty are near impossible to get experience with unless you are on the board of one of the student commities (bah spelling), you really are best say working in an oxfam shop to start and moving up

-nottingham red cross need office volunteers if you are interested, should be handy for experience and stuff, gonna start there tuesday woo

Ah cool, I'll look into that!

Do you actually know what you want to do with your degree yet? I'm not entirely sure, but everything just assumes I'm going to be an MP or something. :rolleyes:
I'd love to do a similar kind of work to you too Frances,it seems impossible to find out anything about it though :frown:
Reply 9
Frances
Ah cool, I'll look into that!

Do you actually know what you want to do with your degree yet? I'm not entirely sure, but everything just assumes I'm going to be an MP or something. :rolleyes:

doing a law conversion afterwards is my main priority at the moment but perhaps civil service, everyone else i know seems to want to 'travel'/doss around latin america then become a teacher :rolleyes:

second year is great though, when you pick modules after easter def go for all the sue pryce ones you can, she's probably the best seminar leader i've had

Latest

Trending

Trending