Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get rid of insomnia?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, right this is quite bad, I got to bed at 11:30 ish (early night yes i know), but I was jsut lying there for ages and couldnt sleep =.=, it was 5am and I was still awake, but Im pretty sure I was quite sleepy/tired ._. help? does anyone else get this? I had to wake up at 7 too =___=

How do you fall asleep easily? I used to be able to, but these few weeks I've realised I don't fall asleep until at least 1-2-3 hours ._.

arghhh, yeh if anyone has any advice .. would be appreciated, I miss my sleep =___=
    if not then ignore this as a noob post =__=

insomnia may be wrong term XD

ReputationRep:
    How often does this happen?

A one 'cant sleep' night is hardly insomnia :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitterendx)

lol, well actually I didnt think it was insomnia, but I thought I'd post it as that .. may help =___=

I'm not sure, the past month or 2

ReputationRep:
    I have this Every night lol.

What you had wasn't insomnia, just a bad night.

I would like to know how to get rid of it too though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    I have this Every night lol.

What you had wasn't insomnia, just a bad night.

I would like to know how to get rid of it too though
    Yes, same it's pretty annoying .. and esp last night, I was thinking ... i just wasted 5 hours trying to sleep =.= , then i have to get up for college in 2 hours time ._. sigh

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can ever really be cured from insomnia. You can make it go away for a bit but it usually comes back. I've had it for 4 years now. I use earplugs, quiet life tablets, sleep tea and music every night. Seems to be working well so far.

ReputationRep:
    This happens to me loads too, although I suffer from depression and anxiety problems so for me it's more about being not able to relax enough/empty my mind in order to get to sleep.
    Do you think there is any reason why it's taking you so long to fall asleep?

Some things that might help are:
    Exercising in the evening.
    Avoiding caffeine, especially in the evening.
    Get all your work done as early as possible, so you have the rest of the evening to relax.
    Don't do homework/revision/anything that involves lots of concentration right before you go to bed, or else you won't be able to switch off.
    If you've barely slept all night, still try to get up and go about your day as normal. Don't sleep during the day to make up for missed sleep, or else it will just mess up your sleep pattern even more.

ReputationRep:
    short of medication, I'm not sure you really can - I've not been able to properly do so.

ReputationRep:
    At 11 pm every night,
    Trazodone - 100 mg
    Clonazepam - 1 mg
    Melatonin - 3 mg
    help me sleep like a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eimi)

How do you fall asleep easily? I used to be able to, but these few weeks I've realised I don't fall asleep until at least 1-2-3 hours ._.
    come to the university of kent and sit through a lecture of introduction to information systems, would knock a horse out :d

ReputationRep:

I was thinking that!
    When i can't go to sleep i try to cover my eyes up and try and get myself comfortable. Also, when you can't sleep you get stressed and more awake, so i just tell myself I'll be fine if I don't sleep tonight, as long as I just relaaax. And i usually fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eimi)
    lol, well actually I didnt think it was insomnia, but I thought I'd post it as that .. may help =___=

I'm not sure, the past month or 2
    How often does it happen & it's been happening over the past month of too?

First problem - your saying that 11:30pm isn't late. When your suppose to be waking up at 7am. Thats only 7 1/2 hours sleep. Recommended is 8. Now if you had to be OUT at 7am, I presume you'd be up earlier, so it's even less sleep.

If you wanna get past insomnia you should follow some fairly strict routines so your body recognises bed time = sleep.

1) Bed time, same time, every day.
    2) Wake up, same time, every day.
    3) DON'T watch/read or text etc, when your in bed. You need to adjust yourself so your body knows that as soon as you crawl in to bed it's time for sleep. This one is REALLY hard as you'll sit there tossing and turning all night trying to get to sleep, bored out of your mind - but you must persever! Eventually it'll work
    4) Try and get a routine in before you go to bed, such as going getting a glass of warm milk, brushing your teeth, brush your hair (idk :p: ) and then hopping into bed. When you begin this routine then your body will start to think "almost bed time!" and will start preparing for bed.
    5) No caffine before bed! And try to generally cut it out (or at least lower it if you can't live without that coffee in the morning :p: ). Same with sugar, lower your sugar intake if you think it's quite high as it gives you energy etc.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Quote if you want me to reply again, etc

ReputationRep:
    Try to slow down and relax the hour before you go to bed. Drink some warm milk or whatever. Breathe slowly and try not to think about too many things (worrying about exams/results/UCAS etc doesn't help)

ReputationRep:
    I should also mention that it is incredibly hard to fix a sleeping routine, so do not be disheartened if it doesn't return within two days ^,^)

Also someone mentioned about stress and depression.
    Is there anything bothering you? (Can PM me if you like )

Get work done, chores, all showering etc so you don't worry about if you'll be up early enough to do it etc.
    Someone else had great points earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eimi)
    Okay, right this is quite bad, I got to bed at 11:30 ish (early night yes i know), but I was jsut lying there for ages and couldnt sleep =.=, it was 5am and I was still awake, but Im pretty sure I was quite sleepy/tired ._. help? does anyone else get this? I had to wake up at 7 too =___=

arghhh, yeh if anyone has any advice .. would be appreciated, I miss my sleep =___=
    if not then ignore this as a noob post =__=

insomnia may be wrong term XD
    You're going to your bed too early. First and main thing you can do is train yourself that bed = sleep (or fun ). If you go to bed and are not ready to sleep, you need to get up again.

ReputationRep:
    Visualise the following:

(Original post by eimi)
    =___=

ReputationRep:
    what i tend to do is after working all night for 3 days straight is then when i get back from work 7 in the morning is to try and sleep for only 5 hours untill 12 o clock and then stay awake untill bedtime which is about 11, really hard to do when your exhausted but gets the times bang on also having a cold shower helps :P

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you can sleep it off?

ReputationRep:
    my dad has insomnia, he just reads though rather than trying to do something about it :rolleyes: i think he does midnight filing/accounts too :p:

maybe do some boring stuff? and lay off the caffeine

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna get past insomnia you should follow some fairly strict routines so your body recognises bed time = sleep.

1) Bed time, same time, every day.
    2) Wake up, same time, every day.
    3) DON'T watch/read or text etc, when your in bed. You need to adjust yourself so your body knows that as soon as you crawl in to bed it's time for sleep. This one is REALLY hard as you'll sit there tossing and turning all night trying to get to sleep, bored out of your mind - but you must persever! Eventually it'll work
    4) Try and get a routine in before you go to bed, such as going getting a glass of warm milk, brushing your teeth, brush your hair (idk :p: ) and then hopping into bed. When you begin this routine then your body will start to think "almost bed time!" and will start preparing for bed.
    Hey, thank you for reply , how does warm milk actually help, does soya milk substitute?
    I have a weird sleeping pattern, well I don't really have one, sometimes I go to sleep at 2 or 3 in the morning, but if I'm tired I can go at 10-11.
    Yes =__= number 3 .. I end up texting sometimes, =_=
    maybe i've jsut messed up by having weird sleeping pattern,.. but it's been going on for the past month or 2 at least; but not everyday, so I guess its not so bad.
    thanks again

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.