Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get rid of insomnia?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juggy123)
    what i tend to do is after working all night for 3 days straight is then when i get back from work 7 in the morning is to try and sleep for only 5 hours untill 12 o clock and then stay awake untill bedtime which is about 11, really hard to do when your exhausted but gets the times bang on also having a cold shower helps :P
    you dont sleep for 3 days ? or am I reading it wrong ._.
    cold shower? shouldn't that wake you up :P

ReputationRep:
    technically i dont really sleep during the 3 days as i work 11 till 7 and then 9 till 6 so only get a 2 hour nap at the best, and a cold shower when im trying to stay awake during the day lol sorry about the confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizz*****)

Some things that might help are:
    Exercising in the evening.
    Avoiding caffeine, especially in the evening.
    Get all your work done as early as possible, so you have the rest of the evening to relax.
    Don't do homework/revision/anything that involves lots of concentration right before you go to bed, or else you won't be able to switch off.
    If you've barely slept all night, still try to get up and go about your day as normal. Don't sleep during the day to make up for missed sleep, or else it will just mess up your sleep pattern even more.
    Excellent advice. Not sleeping properly for a month or two could mean any number of things, maybe you're stressed or anxious through work? Or it could simply be due to your eratic sleeping pattern, meaning your body doesn't know when it's time for sleep.

If your sleep problems persist it may be worth going to the doctors and making sure there are no physical reasons (under/over-active thyroids or anemia can cause insomnia) but it sounds like you just need to establish a healthy bedtime routine really.

ReputationRep:
    I have insomnia and have done since beginning of 2007. its awful!!! medication doesnt help. i just get on lol.

i wish i could find out how to get "rid" of it lol.

ReputationRep:
    the rule i follow is if i go to bed because i feel tired and am no where near going to sleep, then i get out of bed, do a calming activity such as read a book. then try to go back to bed. i find that way i only stay awake perhaps another hour or so later wheras if i just lie there, i think too much and can be awake for hours and hours longer than i wanted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    Maybe you can sleep it off?
    I'm ashamed of you.

ReputationRep:
    I can promise you that trying to read Medieval Literature is the best soporific I have ever found. I do suffer from insomnia, although in intervals, so for about a month straight at a time I would not sleep for three days straight and then faint and fall asleep on the fourth. Tablets don't do much except make you garble like an idiot whilst you're awake.
    Basically try and do something that your mind would rather commit suicide than cope with- decide to learn a verb table or something equally vile. doesn't always work but at least then you are more familiar with verbs. Books on cd also help because generally the reader has quite a soothing and rhythmic voice
    Saying that I am writing this having not slept a wink

ReputationRep:
    Try listening to a Harry Potter audiobook. That does it for me, not even 3 minutes into the audiobook, im asleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I'm ashamed of you.
    I was really proud of that, I thought it was funny. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice btw
    I can kind of sleep better, but I have to sleep at about 3 in order for that to happen.. ._.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.