Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so i come onto my computer, see my 'best friend' is online so obiviously i open a MSN convo with her, say hello and ask 'whats up?' - she replies to that 'not much, just chatting'.... then nothing, she doesnt ask what I'm up to, how i am, just doesnt seem to care and then there is nothing... is it just me or or is that just a bit rude? I am really getting fed up of people on MSN, thought i would be able to chat to her though, but then again she never seems to care how i am. Whatever... maybe this is just a rant but would like opinions

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, ever thought that they might have other things to do?

i.e. I might be on MSN, but then again I could also be doing an essay, chatting to other people or making my dinner.

well someone once never responded to a "hello" ....

ReputationRep:
    yeah some people just forget about the people they're talking to. maybe the person closed your window and forgot about it? you can't take MSN too seriously anyway, it's not like actually meeting friends.

yeah true. But I usually put that on my 'status' to let people know ...

ReputationRep:
    I usually find I end up talking less to my closer friends less on msn because we see each all the time! I usually end up catching up with friends I don't see very often & my friends say the same.

ReputationRep:
    maybe she's busy?

this happened to me recently, where i didn't hane a 'busy' status up, and was trying to so my personal statemtn at the same tim e:p: not a good mix... but yeah, i think i ended up sounding a bit rude without meaning to... but anyhow... if she's doing it all the time during every conversation, then i'd say she was being a bit rude

normally, when i'm not busy i would reciprocate and ask how the other person is etc. and make conversation

what's this person like in real life?

Well that's a bit rude but it's MSN, usually when I'm online I'm doing about 7 other things at the same time. If you want to chat then you should ask the questions.

However, if someone was to nudge me that is an instant block. The nudge function is so fecking rude.

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who ask "How I am?", yes it's polite, but the chances are you saw me at school today so you know i'm not dead. Why ask how I am? What could have possibly changed between 3.20 and about 7pm, did I lose a limb, contract a rare jungle disease or even get married to my lamp (I love lamp). No. I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toria-08)
    I usually find I end up talking less to my closer friends less on msn because we see each all the time! I usually end up catching up with friends I don't see very often & my friends say the same.
    :ditto: if we do end up talking and neither one of says anythign for a while it's more a comfortable silence rather than an awkward one because we know we're not ignoring each other etc. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your a boring person without any friends, or she just doesnt have anything to talk to you about

ReputationRep:
    have you been talking to her all day in person or not?
    she might just be talking to loads of other people and assumes your ok, because being best friends and all she maybe presumes that you'd tell her if there was something wrong without her having to ask

ReputationRep:
    Its mostly crap and only really necessary if the other person is the other side of the world

ReputationRep:
    Just because someone is online is no excuse to contact them.

It's like a telephone. I know I can phone any number of people at any time, and they'll probably answer. Doesn't mean I do so just for the sake of it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)

what's this person like in real life?
    Ok maybe i should make this more clear. From her perspective everything revolves around her, if i am upset about something and she is in a good mood that makes me 'boring' and there is no effort to either find out whats happened or cheer me up, if she is upset then its the end of the world and she throws an even bigger moody if i dont drop everything to sort it out.

If she comes into class and sits the other side from me and my other friends she seems to take umbridge that i dont stop talking to my other friends straight away. If i am planning to go to my other friends house for the night and she somehow hears about it (not from me) she will invite herself along.

ReputationRep:
    They'll be busy or having msn on to check email. For example, sometimes I have msn to have an instant check if I get important emails from unis and ucas and sometimes forget to put it on appear offline, busy or away

ReputationRep:
    Generally, if anyone other than my main friends start talking to me, i.e. random person; and they ask me "how are you?", I usually ignore them for a few minutes, I can't stand being asked 'how are you?' all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snorty_swirl)
    Right so i come onto my computer, see my 'best friend' is online so obiviously i open a MSN convo with her, say hello and ask 'whats up?' - she replies to that 'not much, just chatting'.... then nothing, she doesnt ask what I'm up to, how i am, just doesnt seem to care and then there is nothing... is it just me or or is that just a bit rude? I am really getting fed up of people on MSN, thought i would be able to chat to her though, but then again she never seems to care how i am. Whatever... maybe this is just a rant but would like opinions
    I never chat long with people who say "what's up?" If you have an interesting point, state it. I don't have time to ask you how you are every time I talk to you especially when in real life, I don't. Boring conversation leads to a short convo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snorty_swirl)
    Ok maybe i should make this more clear. From her perspective everything revolves around her, if i am upset about something and she is in a good mood that makes me 'boring' and there is no effort to either find out whats happened or cheer me up, if she is upset then its the end of the world and she throws an even bigger moody if i dont drop everything to sort it out.

If she comes into class and sits the other side from me and my other friends she seems to take umbridge that i dont stop talking to my other friends straight away. If i am planning to go to my other friends house for the night and she somehow hears about it (not from me) she will invite herself along.
    Argh, everyone has one of those friends! They're the worst Tbh, I gave up on MSN a long time ago. I mean, I'd get people not talking to me at school because I didn't start a conversation or I'd catch myself getting angry because somebody wasn't talking to me on MSN. It's mental!

Just don't take it personally. It's the overdramatic people that use MSN as some sort of weapon. Just go offline and don't get involved. Be the bigger person

ReputationRep:
    This is the reason I don't use MSN. I can't stand the mini-drama

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.