Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want my Gizzy back :( - my hamster died Watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hey all,

My hamster died last night.

I knew he was ill and I came home from uni to see him (he live with my fiance when I'm at uni) and he died a couple of hours before I got there. I'm absolutely heartbroken. He was nearly three and a half which is really old, but I loved him to bits. He was the best hamster in the world, never once bit anyone. My bloke used to put me on speakerphone and when Gizzy heard my voice he'd come running out of his house looking for me, and when I was on webcam He'd walk all over the keyboard and bash his head into the monitor trying to get to me.

He was the cutest thing ever. It still hasn't really hit me, but I didn't sleep all last night as I was crying too much. I know its only a pet blah blah blah but he was more than that to me. He was bought as a rehab pet as I was ill for a number of years, and I had to spend a lot of time on my own, so I'd talk to him and he'd keep me company. I really can't believe he's gone. I know he was old but he just kept going, it was like it was never going to happen.

He loved dried bananas, and did the cutest thing, he'd nibble all the way around the edges and then turn it longways and put it in whole. It was the cutest thing to watch.

My fiance is gutted too and wants to replace him straight away, but you can't replace my Gizzy, I don't want to haev another pet again as it just hurts

Sorry for the rant, I just want my Gizzy back, even if its just for five minutes so I can say goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    Awww
    I felt exactly the same when my rabbit died in July I was on holiday at the time and my parents were looking after her, she died on the last day of my holiday which made it even more upsetting Couldn't even have one last cuddle :o:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :cry: That's really sad. Maybe you could have a little ceremony and say bye to him that way? :yep:

I know how you feel about the replacement part; I always feel like I will "offend" the other pet, so to speak, if I suddenly get a brand new pet and blah. And it's not the same - no two pets will like the same things or even do the same things and... It's odd.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no that's awful you poor thing! You must feel awful

I know it sucks you didn't get to say goodbye, but you could always have him cremated and have a little ceremony for him or something?

One of our cats died the other weekend, had him for 12 years But we had him cremated and we're going to bury him in the garden so he's still here!

Just think, at least he isn't in pain anymore or anything! One of my cats died in the past and I didn't want to have another one, but after a while I changed my mind; I didn't think of it as replacing her but instead just having a new 'companion' sort of thing

Hope you'll be ok! xx

ReputationRep:
    gizzy sounds so cute sorry to hear that :sad: :hugs: Maybe you could have some time in between as I call it, just to come to terms with losing him without worrying about a new pet then you can bond with the new pet more when you've had some space to be upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Hey all,

I knew he was ill and I came home from uni to see him (he live with my fiance when I'm at uni) and he died a couple of hours before I got there. I'm absolutely heartbroken. He was nearly three and a half which is really old, but I loved him to bits. He was the best hamster in the world, never once bit anyone. My bloke used to put me on speakerphone and when Gizzy heard my voice he'd come running out of his house looking for me, and when I was on webcam He'd walk all over the keyboard and bash his head into the monitor trying to get to me.

He was the cutest thing ever. It still hasn't really hit me, but I didn't sleep all last night as I was crying too much. I know its only a pet blah blah blah but he was more than that to me. He was bought as a rehab pet as I was ill for a number of years, and I had to spend a lot of time on my own, so I'd talk to him and he'd keep me company. I really can't believe he's gone. I know he was old but he just kept going, it was like it was never going to happen.

He loved dried bananas, and did the cutest thing, he'd nibble all the way around the edges and then turn it longways and put it in whole. It was the cutest thing to watch.

My fiance is gutted too and wants to replace him straight away, but you can't replace my Gizzy, I don't want to haev another pet again as it just hurts

Sorry for the rant, I just want my Gizzy back, even if its just for five minutes so I can say goodbye.
    Awwww :hugs: :console:

ReputationRep:
    Awwww :hugs:
    I always get really emotional when I read things like this...
    I hope your pain heals through time.

ReputationRep:
    Gizzy sounded lovely.

The new pet won't be a replacement, by the way - because two pets are never the same. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Aww. I'm sorry for your dead rodent. =(

Afraid necromancy is forbidden though.

ReputationRep:
    awwwww might be worth having a memorial with your fiance' for Gizzy as you two obviously loved him. Don't actively search for a new hamster until you are sure you want to, alternatively just browse a few stores without the intention of getting a new pet, and you just might fall in love.

When I was little, I had many fishes in one big aquarium. However, my twin fat goldfishes ate all the other fishes, and became very fat. They also had children. Please do not discuss the genetics of this (they looked the same so not sure if they were twins or just similar looking). I also had around 10 baby chicks (i.e. chicken babies) that used to follow me around. All except two died of some sort of epidemic, and the other two got killed by a hawk (I lived in the middle east when I was really little). I also had a white dove that used to follow said chicks around (it coudlnt fly for a few months because it fell into my yard), which subsequently died of the same epidemic. Moral of the story is it is hard when you loose a pet, especially since Gizzy was so close, but I'm sure you'll be ok. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i had a hamster once. ok, i've had 4 of them now. the first died of wet tail when he was a year and a half, as did the second one, after 2 years. i had one hamster for a total of 4 weeks, before she/he bit my dad and died the day after. it's so bad, i can't even remember that ones name or sex or anything. we think it died because my dad has ME and has a lot of medication in his blood stream.

i wish my hamster now was like yours. she just runs and hides whenever i try to get her out. we called her chewbacca. lol.

chin up.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have ME too, that's why I got him inthe first place. We buried him this afternoon. it felt more real and was awful. Before that we just kept him in his cage and he just looked asleep, so i was talking to him as normal. It's actually starting to hit me now.

ReputationRep:
    heh - our current hamster likes to hibernate. i've gone to get her out numerous times to find her cold and unresponsive... i'm glad i attempted to bring her round the first time and didn't just presume she was dead. i thought she was dead the first time though, and the second, until i cottoned on that she was just too cold to stay awake.

at least you have given gizzy a nice send off, and he's in a nice special place in your garden. at least you can go visit him, and maybe soon you can get a new hamster. gizzy the 2nd :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    heh - our current hamster likes to hibernate. i've gone to get her out numerous times to find her cold and unresponsive... i'm glad i attempted to bring her round the first time and didn't just presume she was dead. i thought she was dead the first time though, and the second, until i cottoned on that she was just too cold to stay awake.

at least you have given gizzy a nice send off, and he's in a nice special place in your garden. at least you can go visit him, and maybe soon you can get a new hamster. gizzy the 2nd :p:
    My cousins did that...they buried it and everything....then it woke up and they found it running about outside their back door :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aw that's so sad Rest in peace Gizzy :console:

I'm dreading the day either one of my gerbils dies. The way I look at it is that if you do decide to get another pet, you won't be replacing him but that it's a chance to give another animal the love and affection that you gave Gizzy. Give another animal a happy life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Hey all,

*looks around so no one sees me writing this*

Awww *hugs* you sound like you need it, the little guy sounded so sweet! It'll be fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.