The Student Room Group

sixth form vs college

I am super confused on what subjects i should do. i have applied to a college and i have also applied to my secondary schools sixth form. the college is offering me architecture, applied business, and sociology all the subjects i really want to do as well as i want to do architecture in university as well but also i am planing on self teaching maths. but the sixth form is offering me applied science, art and design and applied business also the subjects i like i dont know what to choose or where to go even though i have been going to the sixth form for the past few weeks i dont feel it but i am scared of the college environment an the people as well as the teachers not caring about the students. so i wanna know what subjects you would choose if u were in my place/ and the sixth form is letting me do another a level which is the language i speak as well as i cn get helps from the teachers regarding a level maths. and i want to self teach a level maths wherever i go wether its college or sixth form. so pls keep all of this in mind and tell me if u were in my place where would u go and why and what subjects u would choose thank uuu
Original post by rashiida
I the college is offering me architecture, applied business, and sociology .............. but the sixth form is offering me applied science, art and design and applied business

What qualifications are each of these? A levels, BTEC or ....?

Have you looked at the entry requirements of some Architecture course pages on Uni websites to see what A levels etc they want?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
What qualifications are each of these? A levels, BTEC or ....?

Have you looked at the entry requirements of some Architecture course pages on Uni websites to see what A levels etc they want?

the ones in sixth forms are betecs and the ones in college are a levels except business. i have done some research and found that a levels like sociology and maths and languages are most preferred.
Many Architecture degrees also want Art and Design qualifications.

Look at doing a one-year Art and Design Foudation Diploma between school and Uni - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Excellent creative experience, and will give you access to facilities and staff expertise for your portfiolio,
I am super confused on what subjects i should do. i have applied to a college and i have also applied to my secondary schools sixth form. the college is offering me architecture, applied business, and sociology all the subjects i really want to do as well as i want to do architecture in university as well but also i am planing on self teaching maths. but the sixth form is offering me applied science, art and design and applied business also the subjects i like i dont know what to choose or where to go even though i have been going to the sixth form for the past few weeks i dont feel it but i am scared of the college environment an the people as well as the teachers not caring about the students. so i wanna know what subjects you would choose if u were in my place/ and the sixth form is letting me do another a level which is the language i speak as well as i cn get helps from the teachers regarding a level maths. and i want to self teach a level maths wherever i go wether its college or sixth form. so pls keep all of this in mind and tell me if u were in my place where would u go and why and what subjects u would choose thank uuu

If the college offers the courses you want to do then go to college.
i have done some research and found that a levels like sociology and maths and languages are most preferred.

I'm not sure what research you've done, but I've not seen an architecture course asking for languages or sociology.

The majority of architecture degrees do not have specific A level requirements. The exceptions:

Cambridge - some colleges require maths or physics or an essay-based subject (A*AA)
Bath - ideally maths and/or physics plus art/design (A*AA)
Manchester - a mixture of science or maths with humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential (AAA)
Strathclyde - maths or physics (ABB-BBB)
Robert Gordon - to include maths or a science and preferably art (BCC)

What is important is your creative ability as most universities will require a portfolio of your work as part of the application process. Choose A levels or Btecs that you enjoy and will do well in and don't do any more that you need to as unis want three A levels or equivalent.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
I'm not sure what research you've done, but I've not seen an architecture course asking for languages or sociology.

The majority of architecture degrees do not have specific A level requirements. The exceptions:

Cambridge - some colleges require maths or physics or an essay-based subject (A*AA)
Bath - ideally maths and/or physics plus art/design (A*AA)
Manchester - a mixture of science or maths with humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential (AAA)
Strathclyde - maths or physics (ABB-BBB)
Robert Gordon - to include maths or a science and preferably art (BCC)

What is important is your creative ability as most universities will require a portfolio of your work as part of the application process. Choose A levels or Btecs that you enjoy and will do well in and don't do any more that you need to as unis want three A levels or equivalent.

thank u so much ur reply has helped me a lot. thank uu i really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending