Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not enjoying myself at the current university that I am in and was thnking of transferring...does anyone has advice on how to go about it?

ReputationRep:
    You might get better responces if you posted this in General University Discussion? But I'd phone up the uni I had in mind and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Just I am not enjoying myself at MMU and I was wondering how you go about...but then I want advice before I make any rash decisions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    I am not enjoying myself at the current university that I am in and was thnking of transferring...does anyone has advice on how to go about it?

Ring round the unis your interested in transferring to and ask if they would be willing to take you. Some may say that if your pass your first at your current uni with with a certain grade they will take you from second year. Some may take you now, best to ring up admissions and find out.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply to uclan/chester university i was wondering what the cities like and what is the university is like as well...

ReputationRep:
    Ring them up and ask. If they are willing to take you go and visit if you can.

ReputationRep:
    thats is what I am gonna do but I am in boths minds to be honest with you...

I dont want to make any rash decisions you see...

ReputationRep:
    i guess you should just ring around and see what they say, i was going to transfer in my first year but when i called them up they said i had to apply to UCAS and it would be the first year i would have to redo. after spending £3000 on tution fees i really didnt want to waste that money because i wasnt enjoying my self. but its just me talking.

tbh i actually am sort of glad i stayed because i started to enjoy it after the 2nd year - not having the "UNI EXPERIENCE" that everyone raves about but its not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Nemsis- Thats the down side of it all and also other things like making new friends again ...(i am not the confident type of person tbh..i wont kno anyone)

But at MMU I hate it...it not enjoyable because I really dont understand what I am doing; I ask for help and none is given (staff are rude) ...It also is a bit like a dictatiorship (sort of school like with their approaches like the tutorials (seminars) if you dont attend they send a letter and you hae explain yourself (not that I missed any...)) furthermore there is too much work (especially if you dont understand it) and the coursework no one has given any clue what it is about or when to hand it in in fact they havent even mentioned it at all... and talking to other people they hate it cos of the similiar reasons as well...

ReputationRep:
    This page might be of some use.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ing_University

ReputationRep:
    thanks bored...
    I have some serious thinking to do...but can someone give me their experience of transferring universities.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to transfer from leeds met to leeds uni and they said i couldnt. They didnt even ask about qualifications or what uni i was currently at. So, I've decided to email them and ask again, lol.

ReputationRep:
    neenee-gg tell me how it goes...I am gonna ring up chester and see if they will allow me transfer...even if they did would MMU still prevent me?

ReputationRep:
    tbh no university will prevent you from leaving - worst thing that may happen is the dean or your tutors will want to give you a one on one to see if its a problem they can fix.

transfering shouldnt be a problem but i know from experience some unis are just snobby, i remember calling up southampton and warwick when i was thinking of transfering but they wouldnt have it. i mean i had the grades and go to UCL but still they said no... i didnt think civil eng was so popular there!

ReputationRep:
    Nemesis thanks...I really hate mmu...i really want to get a high grade (something quite early to think about now) but the teaching there is rubbish and i am left more confused than what I am started with...

I was thinking of going to chester university...it is has more rep than mmu and looking at the a level grades to get in were similiar to what mmu were looking for...

ReputationRep:
    can also anyone tell what the process is to tranfer unis?

ReputationRep:
    heres my working, contact the uni, talk to their department about the course and why you want to join, then someone will say apply via ucas, u sign up for ucas and fill out all the points (thats something that put me off that i would have to write another PS about why i want to join the other uni and what i will bring). finally if you want to join the second year (because its the same course) you pick defered entry - by doing this you skip the deadline date.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks nemisis...i was wondering what reason shopuld I use...

ReputationRep:
    well you could be honest, ie i went to the uni expecting this but it ended up as this, or you could use a family issue - like my mum is sick and i want to be closer to home.

my advice is to be honest tell them that you went to MMU expecting the level of teaching and learning would be high but it wasnt so you are looking to transfer to a more traditional uni (no offense intended for anyone that goes MMU)

ReputationRep:
    nemisis...thanks you haveb been a great help...I am indebt to you...lol

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.